My interesting fact of the Day

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92civicb18b1

The Trisexual
Ok, ever since I got my 90 Prelude, the power steering always leaked..badly. I'm not fixing it nor do I really care. But for the times I do decide to actually put fluid in it, it always seemed real shitty even when using honda approved fluid.

So I went back to my Porsche instincts. I always used Dextron Mercon III instead of PS fluid. Yes, the ATF in the power steering. You think I'm nuts, but 99% of the porsche guys used it over general PS fluid. I figured why not try it in the prelude, it is already fucked up, can't do much worse and if it did oh well, lesson learned. And kinda to my amazement, the shit actually worked/s MUCH better than any other fluid I've put in there, and actually seems to stay there for a longer period of time.

Case in point, ATF DMIII>Honda PS fluid, at least in my case.

Well at our dealership we of course always use approved P/S fluid, but if it wasn't available, transmission fluid is the only other recommended lubricant suggested. And your right, its seems to work even better, except in hondas, its tends to cause the seals in the power steering rack to swell and over time, leak. Thats why it isn't used widely.

I think my shit is fucked anyway, i figured why not it's working a little better for now, hopefully I'll have the civic done real soon and I don't have to worry about the prelude.

Interesting stuff. I'll have to try that in another Honda one day- just not any that I have to drive. :lol:

i should, its the beater prelude, i just don't know how to loop the system.

If it was either of the civics it would have been gone a long time ago.

I was always under the impression that it needed to be looped. Oh well I guess that bitch is commin out tomorrow.

"they" say to loop it or just chop the ends and drop them in a catch can, this allows the fluid to flow and not get any dirt in your steering system...

i always run atf for ps fluid...
but i don't have any hondas with PS
lol
just use it in my truck...

damn right, well now I know it holds for longer now, like a day and a half instead of overnight.

I can't wait till the civic is done.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Jan 28 2005, 06:57 AM
It's a honda... you don't need power steering. Just rip it out like me. ;)
[post=452480]Quoted post[/post]​

hell yeah....honda should just say, "have you driven a car previous to this one?" then beyond that, remove the ps. i've hd a ps setup on my old crx before (civic four door steering swap) b/c that's all that was availible for my shit and it clicked like hell when i braked. fuck ps and fuck hondas that are too heavy to benefit from it.

i took my a/c out with pruning shears...how bout that shit?!? i felt cautious with the first cut (knew there was no compression, but wore goggles anyway)....beyond that, there was this unexplainable happiness.

ps results in this un-realistic steering feel that i hate...i love the direct connection with my steering column

yep, fucks up the seals in the hondas, other than that it s all good. we used ATF at Jiffy Lube if we would run out of PS fluid. But if its a beater car, then whatever works, right?

Back