My New 1983 Honda Accord Hatcback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The_Wes

Alright; after spending some time on google and searching this site I have decided to make this topic (obviously) to find some information that I was not able to find by searching.

First off, I will tell you how this car came into my possession. On the 28th of November I was driving up to school (Metro Detroit to Northern Michigan) and about 2 hours into the trip I hit some black ice and rolled my 1993 Ford Explorer sport. I actually rolled it twice and came out unharmed but the car was totaled. Well, an old lady, who happened to be friends of my family and who doesn’t drive any more, gave me her 1983 Honda Accord Hatchback. I have not personally seen the car yet, but my father tells me, that other than some rust on the left rear panel, the car is in excellent condition. It only has 64,000 miles on it.

My first question is what is the engine in the car? Besides 1.8L (Hoping for the name of it)

Second, what other engines would fit in this car?

Third, is there anything someone would recommend that I do to this car to make it a bit quicker on the highway for my long drives up to school?

It also has the automatic transmission, if that makes a difference.

Wes

According to this (my first Google search) it's an EK1:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=10...postid=12523381

EK1 (4V) 1.8 8V SOHC 3bbl Carb 1751 75hp@4500rpm 96tq@3000rpm '82-'83 Accord (USA)

I honestly don't know what you would be able to swap into that car. If you were going to go with anything recent, you would have to convert your car's fuel system to support higher pressures for fuel injection, and that's usually not an easy task. You'll have to replace your fuel tank, lines, pump etc...

The first thing I would do on that car is to make sure your suspension is in good shape. If you're driving around on the ice up there, you want to be sure you at least have some semblance of good handling. A 21 year old car is going to be pretty worn out in some places, even if it has low miles. Check the bushings and the shocks/springs- replace them if you have the cash and time. Worry about engine performance after that.

Oh- you can always convert from automatic to manual with a little bit of creativity.

Back