my SMSP header finally came

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
and its fucking hot! 6 weeks waiting was definitely worth it. paid an extra 20 bucks for the black coating, and i love it! still waiting on the other box from dave @ SMSP with the test pipe and the gaskets, but its no rush really. maybe now i can stop choking my engine with the b16 4-2-1 DC header thats on it, lol. dave has excellent customer service btw too. alwasy on top of communication and very helpful and informative when answering questions.

DSC02439.JPG

DSC02440.JPG

DSC02441.JPG

DSC02442.JPG

DSC02443.JPG

i want to see dyno sheets, before and after. nice pick up. what did that run you?

you can get a sheet before and after the tune. but im not gonna waste the tuners time just to see how much it makes over the dc. my guess, easily 15+ whp over the dc i have now.

total was somewhere around 950 for the header, coating, test pipe, and all gaskets

Ian, come out to thunderhill and we'll run for laptimes. Winner gets the losers motor. :)

even though you are a better driver, i think id still pull better times. light car- 210ish whp >>>>heavy pig- 160ish hp

GSRCRXsi said:
even though you are a better driver, i think id still pull better times. light car- 210ish whp >>>>heavy pig- 160ish hp
bring it. :)

what exhaust are you running, or is it open header?

its not too loud. im running a test pipe on there currently with the shitty ass dc. sounds really good actually. itll probably be quite loud with the new header though, lol

GSRCRXsi said:
That would be sweet if you came out. I'd definitely be there.
Nice header btw. I'll be going with Randy Monroe for my header and exhaust needs. I think smsp and rmf are right on par with each other. Is your header stainless or mild steel?

randy makes sick headers. his wait is a bit longer then daves though, although randy is on your side of the country too. dave is closer to me :) their headers really are on par with each other. but i believe randy could make some more power out of his headers if he would backpurge his headers. he thinks its unneccessary though :shrug2: randys headers are SLIGHTly cheaper too. his are 700 w/ coating, for the header alone i paid like 850 w/ coating for the SMSP.

RMF
SMSP
DTR
HyTech

all top of the line headers. cant go wrong with either of them. or if you are really a baller, you could go Burns... $$$

my header is mild steel, jet-hot coated. stainless would have been in the 1000 range for header alone.

back purging the pipes with argon during assembly.

Construction

although he only discusses strength, you and i both know a smoother path in the tube will have better flow

GSRCRXsi said:
back purging the pipes with argon during assembly.

Construction

although he only discusses strength, you and i both know a smoother path in the tube will have better flow

99% of the time, yeah. I'll have to ask randy about that when I have the money for my exhaust in hand. Did you ever sell your crank/pistons? I still haven't had the money, lol.

lol, yea i sold them, sorry.

maybe randy does back purge, but im 90% sure i read a thread on h-t where he said he didnt. either way, randy knows his shit, he's built headers for over 30 years.

pics of what mike? lol theres pics of my header in the first post...

Back