N/a Build Options

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thepester

hey, i dont know crap about what all can be done to build an n/a motor. I dont know what the abreviations mean either, so im having a hard time learning.

could you guys put down the list of options for building the top and bottom of a motor. top and bottom means head and block right? im talking about a list of things like port and polish, and what all they do to help, and what HP or TQ gains Ill see from it, cost's would help a lot too.

Thanks

its a b18b or b18c motor, if that matters.

im a damn noob.. bleh

well to build a good n/a motor, you need good N/A applications. TODA, SPOON, and JUN are aspirated n/a tune up guides. They make great products if you want to run n/a. To have a great n/a car, you have to have a fully built or mid-built motor with high compression. This means some piston work. Toda's B18c pistons are made for the C5 only not the C1. if you equip it with the piston, you have a 13:1 ratio (too high). good air/fuel ratio is a must too. Handling the high compression means a strong block. Try Spoon or JUN block. Another thing would be the head, toda's VTEC Killer is a Thriller. It's whole valve train is a must. including it's sport injection kit. check out these sites on n/a products.

www.spoon.jp www.todaracing.com www.junauto.com

Huh? Sounds to me like you're just reading junk out of a catalog somewhere... a piston for a B18C5 will work in a B18C1 too.

no it will not work, you are throwing out too much compression....even ask AKH @ todaracing.com....

thanks, but i dont know what the hell your talking about!
I think I get some of it though, what OTHER options do I have, and what do they do.
What happens when you go from something like 9:1 compression, to 13:1 compression?
thanks.
whats a valve train?

you're compressing the air/fuel too high. i can cause major damage. the highest for a B18C1 will be 12.5:1.
a valve train is basically everything that functions the head. Like valves, valve springs, retainers, camshaft, camgears, etc.....if your motor is running fully built n/a, then you decide to slap on a turbo, you are going to blow it due to wrong application.

Originally posted by viciousracing@Mar 13 2003, 02:47 PM
no it will not work, you are throwing out too much compression....even ask AKH @ todaracing.com....

its been done y0... there's a number of people here on the board that have c5 pistons in a gsr block.

Originally posted by viciousracing@Mar 13 2003, 11:47 AM

you dont even know what you are talking about... the c1 and c5 blocks have the same deck height, same rod length, same stroke, only the combustion chamber is slightly different between the c5 and c1, the c1 head will yeild .1-.2 higher compression, that is not that much higher compression bud.

EDIT: you do not need to buy a spoon or a jun block, spoon is just a marketing company, and a huge rip off. your best bet is a c5 block, c1 will be more than fine as well.

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Mar 13 2003, 04:38 PM
since when is 13.0:1 too high of a CR??

since this dipshit read it on the iNtArNeT somewhere :bash:
this must be why ive seen ITR engines running up to 14.1:1
:whatafucktard:

Originally posted by viciousracing@Mar 13 2003, 02:18 PM
READ THE POST AGAIN!

Get your nose out of the magazines and do some real learning. Throwing around names like Toda, Spoon etc doesn't mean that they're the only parts you can use to build engines.

The B18C1 and B18C5 can take the exact same pistons (unless you're running large enough domes to smash the C1 combustion chamber). A set of pistons for the C5 will actually yield slightly MORE compression in the C1 because the C1's combustion chamber is smaller. C1 = 41.6cc and C5 = 42.7cc. If a piston works in the B18C5, it'll have better performance in the C1.

Get your facts straight, and please figure out why things are the way they are instead of throwing around a bunch of tuner names.

Originally posted by Calesta+Mar 13 2003, 07:55 PM-->
viciousracing
@Mar 13 2003, 02:18 PM
READ THE POST AGAIN!

Get your nose out of the magazines and do some real learning. Throwing around names like Toda, Spoon etc doesn't mean that they're the only parts you can use to build engines.

The B18C1 and B18C5 can take the exact same pistons (unless you're running large enough domes to smash the C1 combustion chamber). A set of pistons for the C5 will actually yield slightly MORE compression in the C1 because the C1's combustion chamber is smaller. C1 = 41.6cc and C5 = 42.7cc. If a piston works in the B18C5, it'll have better performance in the C1.

Get your facts straight, and please figure out why things are the way they are instead of throwing around a bunch of tuner names.

things like a thinner headgasket and flat valves raise compression and lower chamber volume.

pretty much. remember CR is the full displacement at BDC to displacement at TDC.

When building an N/A engine its good to stick with Honda and use other brands only when needed.

13.0-5 is a fine compression ratio if you have the tuning/ ignition to match it. You also need to have a strong enough setup, but it is definitely possible

Back