Need a motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kyote

Is it possible to swap in a 97 civic D16Y5 in to my 89 civic? Currently, I have a D15B, I want to just use the the 97's as a longblock and bolt on my 89's intake assembly and distributor. My civic is a 4 speed manual, are the flywheels and clutch assemblies interchageable?

yes, you can do what you want to do - you will need to use the 89 engine wiring harness - on the driver's side, the engine mount is different and you will need to remove the timing belt cover and swap the mount bolted to your block onto the 97 block - you can use the flywheel/clutch from either as long as you keep the flywheel/clutch assembly together - the 89 clutch won't bolt to the 97 flywheel and the 97 clutch won't bolt to the 89 flywheel - your Civic STD has the cooling fan switch on the back of the block next to the oil filter - has 2 wire connector with big black rubber boot - the 97 has the switch on the thermostat housing - you will need to extend the wires and put a different connector on in order to plug into the 97 sensor (wire order doesn't matter - it is just a switch) - you will need to swap crankshaft pulleys and use the 89 alternator as the 89 uses a 3 rib alternator belt and the 97 is a 4 rib belt - you could use the 97 alternator, but the connector is different between 89 and 97 (you could swap it) - you will need to use your 89 exhaust manifold if you want to keep the stock exhaust

Back