Need a new dryer.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Crack it open and look inside. Dryers are very simple devices with very few components. Getting parts is easy and you can usually fix them on the cheap. My dryer shit the bed twice. $35 the first time. $65 the second time. First was a heating element, second was the drum hitch had severed and the drum actually fell down into the housing. Looked bad but was a simple fix. And part of that $65 was general maintenance parts (belt, bearings, etc). Its now 9 years old. But still kicking ass and taking names.

So the problem got a little more advanced. I ended up taking the dryer from my dad's house on Saturday and bringing it to my house. Turns out the double breaker was bad, it was a 30, but one side of the double was tripped without tripping the whole breaker. Reset it a few times, still no draw off one leg. Swapped in the 30amp from the cooktop and the dryer worked again, Tested amp draw, ran up to temp, stopped drawing, cycle repeated. OK seems to be problem solved.
Sunday was the big laundry day, the ole lady did a couple loads and the dryer worked ok for her on delicate (medium) heat.
I started doing laundry, dryer ran for 20 minutes on normal heat, then popped the breaker. Reset breaker, ran another 20 min and popped the breaker again. Reset again, got through the first load of laundry. Did the second load on lower heat setting with no issue. Dinner time, swapped the 30 back to the cooktop to boil water, after dinner I swapped it back to the dryer for my 3rd load of laundry. I may have dropped the breaker taking it out of the live box, i may have dropped it twice... Hook the dryer back up and set it off doing a load, 45 minutes later, clothes still wet. Breaker #2 cooked. Ditched the dryer, put in the dryer from my dads house, and was going to leave it until I got new breakers today but I ended up using the 50amp from my double ovens to get the last load of laundry dry. So I'll be buying some new 30's for the cooktop and dryer, plus another one for a spare. And will put the 50 back to the double ovens. and hopefully this problem will be all resolved until this new old dryer eats it.

Putting in larger breakers might be a bad idea.

its breaking the circuit for a reason. is it JUST too much draw? did it USED to work on the 30s?

you're risking a fire bro....

I Hate my Maytag.

brand new, out of the box, takes 2.5 hours to dry a "full" load. it's even a tiny little tumbler too.

It's set correctly, and auto-dry seems to do the trick better than anything else. The filter is also crap - So much makes it by that filter that I have to take it down monthly to clean it out.

It ain't mine, it's the landlords. So I never really dove into the problem as if it were mine.

i did not use the 50 with the old dryer that was popping 30's
that would be a very bad idea.
i only used the 50 on the dryer that I knew functioned properly, and it was only to finish off the one load of clothes, its turned off now until I can get the proper breaker.

cel: is that a 110v dryer? sounds like you have too much of a load in too small of a dryer
try doing half sized loads of wash and see if it works out better for you

I Hate my Maytag.

brand new, out of the box, takes 2.5 hours to dry a "full" load. it's even a tiny little tumbler too.

Try throwing a dry bath towel in with the mix too. I helps pull the moisture out. I tend to do this when I run a full load of the wife's/my jeans. Also try to turn up the spin speed on the washer with durable clothes.

IMO, upgrade.
dryers suck electricity like no other. the in-time use of a new efficient model will pay for itself in a few years, especially with the high ny generation rates.

I have maytag elites front loaders. a grand a pop back in 2007. 0 problems so far at all.

if you're looking to do it on the cheap, check out a place like sears scratch and dent, the pitt, etc for a slightly abused but new model.

Used? craigslist has a bunch probably.

We have Maytag 4000 Washer and 5000 Dryer front loaders with the optional stands....we love them compared to what we had in her condo..The clothes come out almost dry right out of the washer...take no time to dry them...lots of optional cleaning modes ...takes a lot less time to do laundry with these machines

Back