need advice on a motor build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erebunicrx

my name is Dale
Well, im starting to build a ls non vtec. goal is 200 whp. This will be my set up.

---HEAD---
p&p and 3 angle valve job by portflow
crower 404's
crower springs and ret.
not sure on valves though
blox intake manifold
an-r header

---BLOCK---
b18a1
p30's .20 over
eagle h beam rods
balanced crank

lmk what you guys think.

Those cams are a tad overkill.
I would go with the JG manifold.
What is an-r header? Type R header i'm guessing? Again, go with the JG.
I would rock the CTR pistons for higher compression. Especially with the 403 or 404s...
Valves, rods, and crank are not needed for a 200 hp motor. A good idea maybe, but not needed.

Otherwise :thumbsup:

If you want to make 200whp on an all motor LS block without VTEC, I would look into some lightweight forged pistons and rods. The OEM cast pistons are pretty heavy, and they really won't give you the compression that you're looking for to make high power in an all motor setup.

Dsc03861.jpg

thats the header and i dont think 530 shipped is overpriced. i thin the jdm itr is overpriced it doesn't even have a 2.5" collector.

i will check clearence when its all together to find out how much to mill the head to raise the comp. how much power do you think i will gain with the aftermarket pistons if the yeild the same comp?

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Oct 28 2004, 06:12 PM
Those cams are a tad overkill.
I would go with the JG manifold.

overkill? if you can stand it I honestly would go with the 405's if you don't plan on going with a 2L block.

On a 1.8L I would stick with a Skunk2 mani, the 404s are very simmilar profile wise as the ITR cams. The skunk2 is an ITR replica, so conviently enough the manifold is already designed around the cam profile.

If needed, Endyn ports and reshapes S2's for specific setups.

The JG manifold is massive, and I really only see it being worth using on turbo applications.

i already bought the 404's but the blox mani has shorter runners. do you think i would benefit from the shorter runners?

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Oct 28 2004, 09:26 PM
i already bought the 404's but the blox mani has shorter runners. do you think i would benefit from the shorter runners?
[post=408875]Quoted post[/post]​

The blox has much shorter, and larger runners, and a much larger plenum.

In short that shifts the powerband higher, but the problem becomes that JG's runners are so much shorter, and so much larger, etc, that its beyond the usable point of a nonvtec powerband.

With the LS rod stroke ratio, you have to remember that the piston doesn't dwell very long at TDC, and doesn't fill the cylinders as well at high RPMS as the vtec motors. (not to mention the differents in the flowing of the heads).

So you essentially would be using a manifold that is designed for an RPM you can't really use it at.

Originally posted by StyleTEG+Oct 29 2004, 06:36 AM-->
erebunicrx
@Oct 28 2004, 09:26 PM
[post=408875]Quoted post[/post]​

The blox has much shorter, and larger runners, and a much larger plenum.

In short that shifts the powerband higher, but the problem becomes that JG's runners are so much shorter, and so much larger, etc, that its beyond the usable point of a nonvtec powerband.

With the LS rod stroke ratio, you have to remember that the piston doesn't dwell very long at TDC, and doesn't fill the cylinders as well at high RPMS as the vtec motors. (not to mention the differents in the flowing of the heads).

So you essentially would be using a manifold that is designed for an RPM you can't really use it at.
[post=408990]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, my fault. I didn't read the LS part. :ph34r:

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Oct 28 2004, 09:04 PM
Dsc03861.jpg

thats the header and i dont think 530 shipped is overpriced. i thin the jdm itr is overpriced it doesn't even have a 2.5" collector.
[post=408862]Quoted post[/post]​

the jdm itr header thats sitting 3 feet away from me on my floor has a 2.5" collector.

:shrug2:

and $530 is overpriced when you have to wait 3 weeks to get it, pay to get it sandblasted because it's rusted to shit when you get it, put it on the car and it doesn't fit worth a damn, pay for shipping to send it BACK to an-r to have it adjusted, wait 3 more weeks to get it back, pay to have it sandblasted AGAIN because it's re-rusted, pay to have it coated so it doesn't rust again, then pay a muffler shop to weld it together for you, because the lower section doesn't come welded to the header. :ph34r:

my roommate bought one a while back.

Back