1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need good multimeter

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by K2e2vin, Sep 5, 2006.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Alright so I had bought one a few months ago from Harborfrieght, its a Cen-Tech. About 2-3months after I purchased it, it crapped out on me(resistance always reads 1ohm no matter what setting, etc.) Anyone suggest a good, simple, yet cheap multimeter? I'm willing to spend money, but I dont need a high tech one; something good for household and automotive use? Im thinking about the $20 one from radioshack?

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

ive got the 9.99 one from sears. works great!

3. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

Those cheap meters such ass. they usually have a input impedance of 10MOhms, some of the sheaper ones are as low as 1MOhm. So think about that you're basically putting a 1MOhm load in parallel with what you're trying to measure. Which gives errors of at least 3% , Spend the extra cash and if you can't afford a fluke at least check out B+K precision

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Well, all of the Sears are far from me(about 20min doing speed limit); and picked up the Northern Tool one after I read a review that its a good alternative to the Fluke(the N-T one was $20, looks pretty good). So far so good! If it goes out, I'll just get a Fluke and be done with it.

btw, who sells B+K precision?

5. TommyTheCat

TommyTheCat Gonzo Scientist

I wouldn't go out of my way for B+KP 's cheap stuff. Its the same as most other brands cheap stuff. Only their top-end meters seem to be comparable to Fluke stuff.

The best thing to shoot for is maybe a b+k or sears if they've got warranty or replacement program like the sears/craftsman. In that case you'll probably get something you can trust or at least replace. But I'm not sure who/if someone offers it for meters.

And a 3% error rate is fine for most folks. If he knew he needed precision, he'd have a bench meter.

6. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

I use nothing but Fluke... But i just steal it from work... :D

7. 90 accord

90 accord Chicks dig the box Moderator VIP

8. 93vicb16a2

93vicb16a2 WHATS CRACKIN??

fluke is what i use i gave about 125.00 for it fron snap on best shit ive ever used

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted