need good multimeter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Alright so I had bought one a few months ago from Harborfrieght, its a Cen-Tech. About 2-3months after I purchased it, it crapped out on me(resistance always reads 1ohm no matter what setting, etc.) Anyone suggest a good, simple, yet cheap multimeter? I'm willing to spend money, but I dont need a high tech one; something good for household and automotive use? Im thinking about the $20 one from radioshack?

Those cheap meters such ass. they usually have a input impedance of 10MOhms, some of the sheaper ones are as low as 1MOhm. So think about that you're basically putting a 1MOhm load in parallel with what you're trying to measure. Which gives errors of at least 3% , Spend the extra cash and if you can't afford a fluke at least check out B+K precision

Well, all of the Sears are far from me(about 20min doing speed limit); and picked up the Northern Tool one after I read a review that its a good alternative to the Fluke(the N-T one was $20, looks pretty good). So far so good! If it goes out, I'll just get a Fluke and be done with it.

btw, who sells B+K precision?

I wouldn't go out of my way for B+KP 's cheap stuff. Its the same as most other brands cheap stuff. Only their top-end meters seem to be comparable to Fluke stuff.

The best thing to shoot for is maybe a b+k or sears if they've got warranty or replacement program like the sears/craftsman. In that case you'll probably get something you can trust or at least replace. But I'm not sure who/if someone offers it for meters.

And a 3% error rate is fine for most folks. If he knew he needed precision, he'd have a bench meter.

Back