need help fast..like now

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

ok so were puting a new timing belt on my sisster 84 accord, well were down to the crank pully and we tryed air tools (impact wrench) and its just slowlytruning an impact at a time? any ideas? maybe a way to hold the crank still or something so we can use a breaker bar on it? any input would be great. or is ther a trick to geting these bitchs off?

i was able to get mine with a breaker bar, put some elbow grease into it you pussy :lol:

it turns fuckers :D i got the elbow grease it just keeps turning and the impact gun wont lossen it for some reason?

i have now noticed that when your press the brake it locks up BUT when i go to use the breaker bar, the bar raps almost have way around with out even a budge on the nut and feels like somethings about to brake? i could push it farther but it feels liek i might brake something i dont wanna keep pushing it when the bar just want to flop back around.

Airjockie's Method:

1. remove valve cover.
2. remove #1 cylinder spark plug.
3. get long screw driver...phillips head
4. rotate the crank, while holding the screw driver in the spark plug hole, in the direction you need to losen the bolt.
5. Watch the valve lifters when you do this.
6.you goal is to preposition it in a way that when you go to rotate and loosen the bolt, the piston is traveling in an upward movement, and the all the valves are closed.
7. while the piston is at bottom dead center, insert a lenght of hemp rope, nylon will wok, but I will explain the reason later.
8. insert enough rope to fill the cylinder so when you go to losen the bolt, the rope compresses, and forms a ball or a blockage so the piston will temporarily seize in the cylider.
9. Loosen crankshaft bolt like a normal sane person can, with just a normal breakerbar, and a pipe extention for leverage.
10. Rotate crankshaft in the opposite direction, and pull out rope.

Reason for hemp rope is, it compresses harder than nylon would. if you mess up or fray the rope, or some rope might get cut-off inside the cylinder...it will burn of easyer than a nylon rope would, and will not damage the valves. Un less it is a big chunk of rope, but if it is that big, it can be fished out with a peice of wire with a hook shape formed on the end.

This method is also good if you need to replace the valve springs, or valve oil seals...or if you must "Stake" a valve...(free up a sticking valve, due to carbon) it will keep the valve from falling into the cyclinder. Just remember what you are doing, don't get ahead of yourself, and forget that rope is still in there if you decide to hit the starter switch for some reason.

Hope that help's.

Back