Need help hooking up surround sound

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allbottledup

Alright so I know there are some big surround sound people here. I have a yamaha receiver and some speakers a friend of mine gave me. Well anyway for the most part its simple and I have a basic knowledge for this type of stuff. The only problem im having is the subwoofer output on the receiver is a plug type like a rca jack, the connection on the subwoofer is a two input and two output for speaker wire. How do I make this work?

buy a sub that doesn't suck???

but for real, you'll need to buy a convertor:
something like this-- line output converter | Car Audio Accessories at mySimon
only, for home-audio, and the other way around--- rca to speaker-level. id on't know if one exists.

also, depending on the sub, some of those are designed to run the rear center (chan 6 in a 6.1 system) to the sub, and then the output to the speaker has the sub act as a hi/lo filter.

whip out the sub owner manual.

Last edited:

also, depending on the sub, some of those are designed to run the rear center (chan 6 in a 6.1 system) to the sub, and then the output to the speaker has the sub act as a hi/lo filter.

Haha, doesn't suck is right.

And yeah, I was thinking you'd use the front center or rear center to run the signal through it. But check the manual fo' sho'.

but for real, you'll need to buy a convertor:
something like this-- line output converter | Car Audio Accessories at mySimon
only, for home-audio, and the other way around--- rca to speaker-level. id on't know if one exists.

Yeah its supposed to be a 6.1 setup. Its cheap and got it for free so im going to use it for now. So I should run the wires from the rear center to the sub? I know on my receiver I can channel the low freq to a certain speaker.

HA HA HA. No flame.

I ran all of my wires straight up through the ceiling, and then drilled holes through the ceiling in each corner. I mounted the speakers just below ceiling height, so you can't see any wires.

Back