Need help on a decision

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blankie

Ok heres the deal. I'm gonig to buy a swap next weekend and I cant decide btween a dohc zc or a b16. A friend of mine said to buy the zc and piece together a turbo kit or some nitrous. I'm looking for mid to low 13's in the quarter and either engine I get I plan to do a rebuild after about a year. Which would be the better of the 2? Thanks for answering a noobs ? ;)

Depends on how much you got to spend.

3K or more B16
2K or less DOHC ZC w/ZC tranny, and Si FD, "pieced together" turbo kit. Very nice.

Whats the Pros And cons between the 2? Thanks for quick response :D

Uhmmm,
B16
Pros - VTEC
Cons - Mount req'd, a few wiring mods for DX (DPFI - MPFI, VTEC)

ZC
Pros - No Mount Req'd, Not many wiring mods reg'd
Cons - Non VTEC

Those are the only things I can think of

Do the DOHC ZC with a turbo kit i have heard the ZC has more torque than the B16 and that is what you would want in a 1/4 mile race. Just My .02

The B16 could be fun, after all this is just my thinking.

A b16 will spank a zc any day. (assuming both are n/a). Its lack of low end torque is actually a blessing for a light FWD car (like a crx). You get good traction and then you just stay in the 5000-8200 rpm range and make 160hp!

..even better, a boosted b16....and if the torque just isnt working out you can go ls/vtec or crvtec with a b18 or b20 bottom end. :ph34r:

I say you piece together a b20 vtec setup, i mean you can get a complete b20 block for like 500, a complete b16 head for 500, ecu for 150, and tranny for about 450, and you'll make a ton more power than the b16, do a search on this site to learn more about it, i can tell you this, since the first time I drove my car with a straight b16a I was like this is better but it did not put that smile on my face, my b20 setup did, the torque puts you back in your seat and a smile on your face, if you a little to find parts this is a great cost effective setup to do,

in a rex, B16 + naawwwzzz will put you mid 13s no prob.

end of story. my buddy had a B16 w/ IHE and a 75 of ZEX and he was crossin the line at 110.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Apr 22 2004, 07:52 PM
..even better, a boosted b16....and if the torque just isnt working out you can go ls/vtec or crvtec with a b18 or b20 bottom end. :ph34r:

the torque on my turbo b16 is VERY nice at 7psi, can't wait to feel it at 12psi :D

a b20/vtec setup would be nice but you'll need more than just a head, block, tranny and ecu. It seems like it's his first swap so I say go with something simple and later on if you want more power then go for it.

I wanna go b16 just starting out just wanted to know if b16 is a better starting point than a zc either way i plan on boosting. thanks for your vauable (spelling ) input. ;)

I would start with the b16 then save and peice togather an good turbo kit for it. The b20 route is mad expensive as i have found cause you cant use aggresive cams without using the dremal on the b20 pistons or getting forged ones then it all different ball park.

:p Ya im not tryin to go over 7000 dollars for this car ive got two children. just tired of all these little punks tryin to race my rex all the time. Im going to the track.

Don't buy through ebay. I would only go through Steve @ hmotorsonline.com. He has an awsome reputation. Got my engine from him and it runns really strong. He was really helpful and replaced an axle bearing that was broken and a broken starter motor.
:thumbsup: Steve :D

Back