Need Help on Rear Disk Swap on an EF.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ef9civicgen4

The car:
1989 Honda Civic DX 3dr

This is what i have:
Integra entire rear assembley (calipers, rotors, lines, ect.)
Integra E-Brake cables
Integra Brake Booster and Master Cylinder
*Note* I don't have the lower control arms off of the Integra. And, all parts above are off a 92 Integra.

These are my questions:
Will the Integra E-Brake cables work properly?
Do I need the Integra lower control arms?
Which Master Cylinder should be used? (Integra, Stock Civic, or 88-91 Civic EX)
Should I use the Integra Brake Booster or the stock Civic?
Do I buy aftermarket brake lines for an Integra or Civic?

Please remeber, I'm not asking what will work, I'm asking what I should use for optimum braking. I already have powerslot rear disks, and plan on buying new calipers both front and rear, and Earl's braided stainless steel lines. I'm looking for a stiff, responsive pedal similar to a 00-05 Celica GTS, RSX, or any other newer sports car.

Thank you to anyone that can help.

don't forget to get the 90-93 Integra non-ABS prop valve. IMO, the Integra booster and master isn't nessecary(sp?) When I did the rear disc on my friend's CRX, I used the stock brake lines that came with the set up and the set up came off a 92 Integra so I'm almost positive that you should buy stainless lines for a 91 CRX Si and you should be good to go. I also just used a 91 EX master on the stock booster to go along with the 90 teg prop valve. his brakes feel pretty damn good considering his car is an HF so it has weannie sized brakes up front and he is still using rubber lines with cheap autozone pads and rotors.

Me on the other hand, i'm using my stock master, stock lines, and stock prop valve and it feels like I still got drums in the back lol plus, the braking distance on my car is probably still just as good as my friend's HF but that's probably because I got an Si so my front brakes are bigger than his (I have an 88 Si and they came with drums in the back so I needed to put the disc in, just incase you are wondering) I have all the other parts but I'm too lazy, plus I'm waiting to get my new rotors, Hawk HPS pads, and stainless lines.

On both of our cars, I used the Integra cables and while they do work good, they are slightly too long so you just have to get creative when you route them under the car. IMO, if you have a chance to get some 91 CRX Si cables, use them, but then again, it's not a must.

bump

I still need some possitive answers.

Looks like yes, i can use the Integra E-brake cables, and I should buy aftermarket lines for a 91 CRX Si.

Will the Integra E-Brake cables work properly?
Yes, you have to use the Integra E-brake cables. The civic cables are too short.

Do I need the Integra lower control arms?
No, you can use your Civic LCA's.

Which Master Cylinder should be used? (Integra, Stock Civic, or 88-91 Civic EX)
Although you've already got the Integra booster and m/c, I'd just get a reman'd 91 EX m/c from Advance Auto Parts or somewhere like that, they're fairly inexpensive. It'll bolt to your stock booster (and changing the booster out is a pain in the ass), and you don't have to rebend any of the brake lines coming from the m/c. I believe you have to reroute the lines with the Integra m/c, but I'm not sure. What I'd do if I were you, run your stock m/c for now, sell the Integra booster and m/c, and use that cash to buy a 91 EX m/c and some cool fog lights or somethin. :thumbsup:

Should I use the Integra Brake Booster or the stock Civic?
If you decide to use the Integra m/c, you HAVE to use the Integra booster. The mounting tabs on the m/c are angled differently.

Do I buy aftermarket brake lines for an Integra or Civic?
Integra.

Back