Need help on rebuilding

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tphan4

My brother has a 1995 civic vx
1999 GSR B18C1
itr transmission
itr header
aem cai
55 shot zex w/purge kit
13.9(Full interior/on street tires)

well the motor finally gave in last week, and we think the pistons blew

so now we want to build an all motor setup with no juice
our goals is to reach low 13's all motor
so the help we need is what setup can we use that will reach our goals?

What do you mean by what setup? Are you asking for ideas? IF you are I have a few. Port/polish, 3 angle valve job, hi compression pistons, cams, cam gears, wider throttle body, new intake manifold, and vafc or tuning device should at least get you started.

so the pistons "blew" huh. Sounds like the motor needs to be torn down to see what is actually wrong with it, and if its salvagable.

And no offense but no one is going to give you a parts list of things to buy, that is why you research and build your engine the way you want it.

Need something with at least 12:1 Compression... Im just guessing cause I dont know

Forged Internals - Pistons/Rods
Higher Reving Valve Train - Cams/Springs/Retainers
Better Flowing IM - Skunk2 perhaps
EMS system - AEM/Hondata
2.5" Exhuast
Header

the list goes on...

Originally posted by 97CTR@Jul 1 2004, 01:10 PM
so the pistons "blew" huh. Sounds like the motor needs to be torn down to see what is actually wrong with it, and if its salvagable.

And no offense but no one is going to give you a parts list of things to buy, that is why you research and build your engine the way you want it.

if you dont want to help....please dont post....and i didnt know looking for ideas and asking to see what parts people were more succesful with was worth your post of telling me I need to do research. Im glad that post which did no help and wasnt necessary made you have one more post towards being a import swap god on hondaswap but please dont waste my time

the name of the game is power to weight, traction, and suspension setup.

I hit 13.3 NA with a stock SiR2 b16 stock longblock, but my DX EG was gutted and I had slicks.

I would suggest first and foremost opening up your motor and see what actually went, probably the issue is either a melted piston or a ring or two went.

Either way, I would get the bottom end resleeved so that you'll be able to run more displacement and thus gain more tq and a tad bit more hp figures over your current setup.

Bottomend I would go with "personally":
Resleeved to either 84mm-84.5mm, and there are tons of types of sleeves out there
Crower rods/Eagle rods/Cunningham
IB pistons/Weisco pistons (getting anywhere depending if it's a daily driver, and what type of octaine is available but I would run 12.0:1 CR)
New ARP rod bolts, new OEM seals, gaskets, etc...

Head: Well this could be endless but now is the time to upgrade since your motor will be apart.
Budget wise I like ITR cams, good midrange, cheap, and OEM
Skunk2 makes pretty good cams also, check out my cam reference section on top of either this page or the engine building page.
ITR/Skunk2 IM, and a TB in the 64mm-68mm range.]

Tranny: well since you have the ITR tranny already then if you don't have the optimal final drive then I would upgrade that also, a good clutch and flywheel setup would be bought right about now.

Engine Management:
I have always personally run the oe units, but if I was to build an good NA setup I would go with a hondata unit.

Good tires, on light, small diamater, wide rims would be good for both draggin and street use.

Suspension, well there is tons of shit out there but I always seem to hear good things in the simple stuff, such as a poly motor mount inserts, you can either buy them or make them youself.

good luck.

^^^ a lot of people do, I think the rule of thumb is that for every 1lb taken off a rim that converts to power to the ground is equivalent to 50lbs inside the car, not sure but I have heard that numberous times (or a figure close to that)

Personally, I know that when I switched from 15"GSR blade rims with ok tires to Kosei's in 15's with ok tires, I noticed the difference, almost night and day. Light 15/14 inch rims are the way to go for street use.

If you think about it, 1320 racing depends A LOT on 60ft times, and good 60ft's are from Traction, Power, and Suspension.

thanks jdmmilan your help is much appreciated...so what Im getting is that we need to reduce weight on the car and lower tire pressure.....on street nights here we are not allowed to use slicks, so is there ne way of getting around using slicks?

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jul 1 2004, 11:46 AM
I would suggest first and foremost opening up your motor and see what actually went, probably the issue is either a melted piston or a ring or two went.

Either way, I would get the bottom end resleeved so that you'll be able to run more displacement and thus gain more tq and a tad bit more hp figures over your current setup.

Bottomend I would go with "personally":
Resleeved to either 84mm-84.5mm, and there are tons of types of sleeves out there
Crower rods/Eagle rods/Cunningham
IB pistons/Weisco pistons (getting anywhere depending if it's a daily driver, and what type of octaine is available but I would run 12.0:1 CR)
New ARP rod bolts, new OEM seals, gaskets, etc...

Head: Well this could be endless but now is the time to upgrade since your motor will be apart.
Budget wise I like ITR cams, good midrange, cheap, and OEM
Skunk2 makes pretty good cams also, check out my cam reference section on top of either this page or the engine building page.
ITR/Skunk2 IM, and a TB in the 64mm-68mm range.]

Tranny: well since you have the ITR tranny already then if you don't have the optimal final drive then I would upgrade that also, a good clutch and flywheel setup would be bought right about now.

Engine Management:
I have always personally run the oe units, but if I was to build an good NA setup I would go with a hondata unit.

Good tires, on light, small diamater, wide rims would be good for both draggin and street use.

Suspension, well there is tons of shit out there but I always seem to hear good things in the simple stuff, such as a poly motor mount inserts, you can either buy them or make them youself.

good luck.

Yes!!!!!!!! a much better post than mine. Just aggravated with a build. And for sure, you can make all the power you want. But if you can't get it to the ground it doesn't make a difference. And ofcourse if you rebuild.... all new bearings, gaskets etc.

Check honda-tech.com for some deals, or inlinefour.com has some good oem kits. You may find some better ones..........

Back