Need help with a conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

grannysmuncher

I have a 2005 Honda Element. I'm going to start working on an engine swap in it to convert it from a K24 AWD to a J32A2 RWD drivetrain.

The Element is a primarily FWD car, with the AWD turning on only to help when the front wheels slip, and so the front wheels have a transaxle helping to hold them in place. My intention is to remove this. I'm likely going to try to remove the AWD system (driveshaft, transfer case, rear diff., axles) this weekend.

However, the questions I have are these:

A) When I remove the trans axle and pull the front end apart, what type of suspension modification would be required to keep the whole thing from collapsing?

B) As the rear end is also set up for drive shafts, would this also need to be modified?

C) Would the torque from the new engine (it will likely push 300-350 hp at installation) twist my chassis, and will a full roll cage help alleviate this problem?

D) I have a background in CNC and engineering, but I've never attempted to construct strut tower bars. Are there any special things that have to be accounted for, or can you simply take a pipe and stick the two together? (I have a distinct feeling that it's not)

haha 350hp won't twist the chassis unless its a tin can, but welcome the thr forum, its very helpful, except for me, im a new guy like you, but my expertise comes from honda cars, lol but good luck fellow, and i hope some one can assist you in your project

Thanks for the welcome!

I don't think the Element is a tin can... A guy on the Element Owners Club forums flipped his Element and was still able to drive it to his house, a body shop, and the dealership. It still drove straight, too.

The only real problem I'm having is that I'm thinking of getting a dual turbo setup, which should up the horsepower to around 500 hp; would that cause any chassis twist?

Im not an expert at this, an im sure someone will correct me if im wrong an rip me a new hole or something, but for a chassis to twist you'd need a lot of torque, im guessing around 700ft. lbs of torque, I wouldn't be worried about chassis twist at the stage you want to go to, i mean there are a lot of supra's an skylines running around 800-900hp with very little chassis modification, but they are built differently than my civic and your element. I'm sure one of the older members here will have some answers for you

A) If your talking about suspension for the new engine, research it all depends on the type of driving your going to do.

B) ?

C) Hahaha you wont have to worry about that

D) The whole purpose of a strut tower bar is to hold everything tight. You could just weld a bar straight across from strut to strut so to say.

It's going to be a daily driven street car. I'd like for it to be able to drift, but it's not a necessity. I don't want a drag car.

Here's the info on B)

My Element is an AWD car. The AWD system delivers 60% power to the rear wheels when the front wheels slip. The rear suspension is set up for an AWD car. I've got axles running to both hubs. Would I need to modify this?

For the front, given that I'm going from a FWD to RWD setup, would I need to beef up the front end to keep it from collapsing, since I'm yanking the FWD transmission and assorted bits?

Well for your suspension its all up to your taste and budget. Search around and find the one that best suits you.

On B) It would depend on the drivtrain in my opinion

I dont think you would have to beef it up any if the engine weights are in the same ball park. But you will have to change the front suspension to accomadate for the heavier engine if it is heavier.

Hmm...I see. I'll have to check around.

The engine and transmission are vastly different. I'll be going from a transversely mounted K24 FWD car to a longitudinally mounted J32 V6 on a T56 6-speed transmission. That means every bit of support and the connections afforded by the original transmission and engine are going to be gone. I'm afraid that the front end won't be able to support itself without those connections and support.

In any case, I'll keep researching. I'll be buying the engine soon; I've got a good source for one, so expect to hear more out of me in the future about this.

Back