need help with head swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rogue420

hey guys,
bear with me if you've answered these qustions before. i just got rid of my oil burning 87n/a supra and bought a 95 cx. this is the weakest car i've ever driven but the price was right so i got it. i'm looking to do a budget vtec head swap. my questions are, what do i need for a d16y8 head swap? can i swap any d-series head onto my block? are all d-series headers interchangable? what ECU should i use? what wiring issues am i going to run into?etc,etc. any help would be appriceated.
thanks

if i were you I would try to do a d16z6 head swap as it is the same obd as your car. you will need:
Head - Complete with intake manifold, vtec solinoid, disttibutor, ect...
Head Gasket
Timing Belt
D16z6 wire harness
ECU
Probably not a bad time to change the water pump and thermostat
that is pretty much all that i can think of.

so your saying that i can't just bolt the head on using my intake manifold, distributor, header, and wiring harness, and then wire up the vtec to an ECU out of a 95-95 Si? <_<

did you even read what he said????

if i were you I would try to do a d16z6 head swap as it is the same obd as your car. you will need:
Head - Complete with intake manifold, vtec solinoid, disttibutor, ect...
Head Gasket
Timing Belt
D16z6 wire harness
ECU
Probably not a bad time to change the water pump and thermostat
that is pretty much all that i can think of.

and it would be a good idea to get rid of the CX exhaust manifold (header) too

before you put the new VTEC head on you need to remove the oil jet from the block

so why can't i reuse my old dist and harness. i see people on here saying that they can use their stock harness and then just wiring up all the vtec stuff.
please educate the uneducated :spin:

you can use it but your gunna need to modify a bunch of shit and you will need a bunch of plugs off the D16Z6 harness .... it will be far easier to just get the harness when you get the rest of it from the junkyard or wherever

ok, i'm getting conflicting reports. the guy at hasport told me to use my stock wiring harness, distributer, and ecu, and just wire in the vtec solinoid, oil pressure sensor, etc. he said the ecu was set up for vtec so no need to get a new one just get the few conectors and hardwire from the engine to the ecu. this is how i thought that it was suposed to be done in the first place. so why did you say that i needed to replace my distributor, harness, and ecu with one off of an ex or si?
lol,

the hasport guy is a fucking retard if he told you that, and frankly, i don't buy it. I've spoken with Brian several times.. maybe you got an intern? :shrug2:

here's the deal.

CX ecu is NOT wired/plugged/has control over for vtec. never has. never will be.
without the p28 (ecu from the d16z6), there is no way to control VTEC Correctly. there are hacks- such as the RPM activated switch with an ignition pill, or a manual switch that you push- but frankly, both those options suck balls, will not give you the best power, and in the long run, will hurt your motor. timing maps are different under vtec, so are fuel maps. no vtec switch can adjust for those.

your cx distributor will work fine.

you need the z6 intake manifold if you want a power gain, as the cx uses shit that's way to small and won't flow for the life of you. but i don't see why the CX IM wouldn't work.

as for the harness, frankly, its the easiest way to go. Yes, you don't need it... but there are several plugs on the z6 that the cx does not have. Now, how do you intend to plug in to a harness without the female (or opposing should i say?) end of the connector to go into it? you are only going to find that on the z6's harness.
Yes, you could hack some wire clips onto it which will probably fall off.

it's your car, and your choice- but the harness is the way to do it.

now, after the z6 harness is plugged in, that gives you the proper wires run to the shock tower mounting connections on the passenger side. from there, you will need to run the wires down into the ecu on the passenger side kick panel.

after all that, you will need to convert to a 4-wire o2 sensor, as the CX has a 1 or 2 wired depending on the year. Again, this will take you up to the shock tower plug, and the other wires will need to be run, as they are not part of the cx chassis harness.

that should cover the wiring.

the oil thing E_Sol describes above must be removed.
the headgasket and belt and pump shoudl be replaced as Massey suggested.
the CX header is a piece of shit. again, if you want to make power, this is not the item to keep. score a z6 exhaust manifold and cat combo if you can't afford an aftermarket one just yet. $25 or so should score you that.

there's a lot more to it that it sounds or what the internet has made it out to be of "slapping on a vtec head". its much more involved. torquing the headstuds correctly, getting the timing right with the timing gun... the list can go on.......

Back