1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need more flow with less noise

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by 90htchbck, Apr 22, 2007.

1. 90htchbck

90htchbck New Member

i have a b20 in my 94 civic coupe, i was just driving it and blew up my stock muffler, the engine is stock, just has advanced timing and DC headers, what's a good exhaust system to run?? i don't have a lot of money and i want to keep it as quiet as possible...how can i give it the flow it needs but keep it quiet??? right now it has no cat, and has a stock resonator??? would the resonator restrict flow also??? what's a good size piping and what's a good muffler to keep me quiet????

2. lnxmad

lnxmad Dipper

You could put any muffler on there if it comes with a quiet core. They look kinda dumb but you will only loose up to 1hp. I think its ok to have some back presure. I think resanotors are fine. IMO

3. humblegumbo

humblegumbo 1595cc's of Mad Fury

Eh?

Could you please elaborate on "quiet core"?

I'm currently runnin a full stock exhaust. The 16 y.o. muffler has finally crapped out. I want to upgrade the whole system for under $600. BUT, it all has to be CA legal and I want it to be ^quiet^.

Thanks.

4. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

5. humblegumbo

Thanks for the tip eg6sir.

RS*R Exmag looks like my wet dream cat-back. I will continue to search for the best price online. I was really hoping to get headers with that money too (and maybe a tank of gas?).

Since you were so kind with that quick response, do you have any other suggestions?

6. lnxmad

lnxmad Dipper

Find out if it comes with a quite core. A quiet core just is a peice that slips in the tip of the exhaust and is held in by a screw. It has a smaller diameter hole then the can itself and quiets ur exhaust quite a bit. I guess u only loose about 1hp

7. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Technically, that's a silencer, the core would be inside the can. RS ExMag, Apex WS, probably some other that have come out recently.

8. lnxmad

lnxmad Dipper

I suppose you're right, I just use the term because my fourwheeler had one and my friends and I always called it a quiet core. Indeed it is a silencer.

9. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

10. humblegumbo

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  11. humblegumbo

Bosal?

Unless somebody gives me damn good reason not to in the next few hours, I'm going w/ Bosal. Seems to meet my requirements of being CA legal and relatively quiet. If it's too loud then I guess I'll be adding a silencer in the mix too.

Also, I can get headers and the whole catback system for less than the RS*R Exmag or Apex WS2 catbacks alone.

[​IMG]

This does seem reasonable, yes?
    Delivery in 5-10 days means that if I put it on order today, I can install everything next week!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted