need more out of my B18 r swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

quick to say i didnt do research ....and as for the motor being stollen ....i was stationed at camp zama ...for you civilians that is japan got my motor cheap from osaka and just had the army ship it with my household goods..when i was headed back to the states . and like i said in my early post... i love my swap but like any other car guy after 2 years i want more..supercharger sounds like a good idea ..as for turbo .. i would be a retard to drop compression on a type r just to boost it ... well thanks for some of your guys input .....stay safe

matts96hb, yes you right you can boost a type r just as easy as any other motor ... but it makes no sence... and that is what im getting at i rather slap a snail on a ls/vtec or gsr... but i get what you say should have thought about all my angles.. but to tell you the truth .. i didnt think id be this far.. so i dint worry about it....

just do ur research. get a aftermarket intake manifold,get some head work done with some aftermarket valves and valve springs,stage 2 cams (toda),get ur block sleeved,bored, with a/m pistons, crank, rods of ur choice, bigger under drive pulley, cam gears,throttle body, fuel rail etc just think about it first its up to u.

superchargers make boost.

turbos make boost.

it doesn't matter.

take your pick: rob power to make power with the supercharger, or turbo and wait for the spool. if peak figures are what your after, turbo will net a little higher since your not adding load like with a supercharger.

just do ur research. get a aftermarket intake manifold,get some head work done with some aftermarket valves and valve springs,stage 2 cams (toda),get ur block sleeved,bored, with a/m pistons, crank, rods of ur choice, bigger under drive pulley, cam gears,throttle body, fuel rail etc just think about it first its up to u.
ugh.

all that head work and intake manifold is a waste. stage 2 wont be much better than factory itr stuff. plus if you rebuild the block you pretty much strip down the entire itr. you just rattled off a list of parts rather than really helping.

These posts show that you haven't done one ounce of actual research. You've just read a few posts, got confused because you don't have a clue what you want, and now you want us to do the leg work for you. Be honest and you'll get a lot more help. Sit there like you already know everything and the knowledgeable people here will leave you to fend for yourself. :)
pretty much. we are sitting here telling the guy to supercharge it. you CAN safely boost an itr. it's been done thousands of times.

matts96hb, yes you right you can boost a type r just as easy as any other motor ... but it makes no sence... and that is what im getting at i rather slap a snail on a ls/vtec or gsr... but i get what you say should have thought about all my angles.. but to tell you the truth .. i didnt think id be this far.. so i dint worry about it....

Sure it makes sense. It would take little to no effort to make decent power on that engine.

I'm telling you right now, with a good tune, you will be happy and still retain reliability as long as you don't get too power happy. ;)

Get your engine as stable as you can.. The more aligned the more muffler no-leakage, the more everything will bring your engine to "concentrate" or "focus" more on its power to your benefit.

Good luck

this really isnt that hard guys.....

What i built for a friend with an itr and what i would do:

skunk 2 pro series 1 cams, cam gears, flat face supertech valves, skunk 2 valve springs, hytech header, test pipe, exhaust, intake, hondata, hondata intake gasket, great tuning.

made over 200 hp at the wheels and he loves his car again.

why turbo such a wonderfully built na motor.

supercharger is nice and would make more power but personally the supercharged cars i have been in have not been as enjoyable as na cars.

or say fuck it and sell your itr swap and pick up a gsr swap, you should have some extra cash even after that. then boost the shit out of it

Last edited:
Get your engine as stable as you can.. The more aligned the more muffler no-leakage, the more everything will bring your engine to "concentrate" or "focus" more on its power to your benefit.

Good luck

What does this even mean? I have no idea...

Why would you turbo a Type R? Because performance is foremost? :)
you and i understand this. but people get a type arrrrr because of the name and the fancy red valve cover.

its a great power plant, just with too many urban legends about it. "oh, it's not good for boost, the gears are too short...blah blah blah."

you and i understand this. but people get a type arrrrr because of the name and the fancy red valve cover.

its a great power plant, just with too many urban legends about it. "oh, it's not good for boost, the gears are too short...blah blah blah."

Well if you are referring to me i didnt say it wasnt good for boosting, i just think its a waste on a motor built for road racing. the gsr is a much better choice for a turbo application because of many factors like original cost, longer gears, lower comp etc.

i Have been driving a twin turbo bmw for the last year and just started driving my civic again and i really missed na. a well built na motor will never be able to make the same power as a turbo application but the feel is completely different.

i wouldnt mind boosting my ls vtec though, i think i would end up blowing it up.

Last edited:
Well if you are referring to me i didnt say it wasnt good for boosting, i just think its a waste on a motor built for road racing. the gsr is a much better choice for a turbo application because of many factors like original cost, longer gears, lower comp etc.
no, i wasn't referring to you.

i was referring to "boostedhatch"

i Have been driving a twin turbo bmw for the last year and just started driving my civic again and i really missed na. a well built na motor will never be able to make the same power as a turbo application but the feel is completely different.

i wouldnt mind boosting my ls vtec though, i think i would end up blowing it up.

Dude, you fail.

Just because a transmission features "longer gearing" does not necessarily mean it is "better" for a Forced Induction application. No matter what you say, shorter gearing = FASTER ACCELERATION, LOWER TOP SPEED. This is a common myth produced by idiots who do not add the correct supporting mods for a power level they have reached.
Example:

Say someone builds a 400whp ITR-T powered car, but leaves the mounts stock, the axles stock, doesn't add a traction bar of some sort, runs on snow tires/stock "all season" tires, leaves the suspension stock, etc.
Someone else builds a 250 whp ITR-T powered car. This person focuses more of their effort on putting that power to the pavement and adds said traction mods to the car.

Which would you rather drive? A "400 whp monster" that breaks axles and cannot make a pull without roasting the tires?

Or, a well built 250whp car that puts it all to the pavement and can keep traction?
In addition, which do you think is going to be quicker?
We can see where the assumption would come from here.

Dude, you fail.

Just because a transmission features "longer gearing" does not necessarily mean it is "better" for a Forced Induction application. No matter what you say, shorter gearing = FASTER ACCELERATION, LOWER TOP SPEED. This is a common myth produced by idiots who do not add the correct supporting mods for a power level they have reached.
Example:

Say someone builds a 400whp ITR-T powered car, but leaves the mounts stock, the axles stock, doesn't add a traction bar of some sort, runs on snow tires/stock "all season" tires, leaves the suspension stock, etc.
Someone else builds a 250 whp ITR-T powered car. This person focuses more of their effort on putting that power to the pavement and adds said traction mods to the car.

Which would you rather drive? A "400 whp monster" that breaks axles and cannot make a pull without roasting the tires?

Or, a well built 250whp car that puts it all to the pavement and can keep traction?
In addition, which do you think is going to be quicker?
We can see where the assumption would come from here.

so how do i fail? why dont you throw an itr tranny on your turbo build then?

dont act like a fucking dick head to me, ive been on hondaswap since you were 12 so fucking chill out.

all i said was a gsr would be a better platform to start with if you had reading comprehension you would understand that.

Why don't u just put a nice power plant under the hood LOL J.K
l_3418436efe2a4b4da638096eda642ee3.jpg

l_76a5ce576634406db320c32916946698.jpg

l_7885435067c741aba1b8cb7759ea22b0.jpg

Depends on which b16 transmission you have.

S80 w/LSD

USDM B18C5

S1/J1JDM B16A X-Si3.2302.1051.4581.1070.8483.0004.400Y1; Y1 w/LSDJDM B16A SiR I3.1662.0521.4161.1030.8703.0004.266S4C/Y21USDM B16A2, B16A3; JDM SiR2, JDM SiR2 w/LSD3.2302.1051.4581.1070.8483.0004.400

but yes im well aware of it. i assumed he was using an ls tranny.

yes proper gearing for the application is what matters, im sure you would rather piece together a transmission for optimal gearing then just using a b16/itr transmission for your turbo build.

im not here to fight with you guys or name call, i offered my thoughts on the build obviously you dont like my thoughts. if anyone wants to continue send me pm's and keep it out of the post.

so how do i fail? why dont you throw an itr tranny on your turbo build then?

dont act like a fucking dick head to me, ive been on hondaswap since you were 12 so fucking chill out.

all i said was a gsr would be a better platform to start with if you had reading comprehension you would understand that.

Right on, thats cool you're older than me and have been on a particular website longer than I have.

The real point here is that the engine doesn't really matter. You can make just as much power with an ITR as you can with a GSR. The only difference is in the tune.

Back