Need opinions on what car to get

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

ok guys this is kind of a dumb question, but i am in need of a car really bad. I am in school and i wor, so this is just a car to get me one place to another. I watn a 4 cyl probably, but if its a 6, it needs to get good gas mileage. I live in San Diego, so hondas are like the #1 car stolen, so if possible i want to stay away from a civic, though its the obvios solution. Does anyone got any ideas for what kind of car to get, and it would help if you have some kind of personal experience.

I would like atleast a mid 90's car, doent really care for 2 or 4 door, 2 is preferred though. I need one that is gonna hopefully get me through college as a daily driver. it will probably not get fixed up at5 all, wtih the exception of maybe a stereo. and i am probably looking at 5k and under, not real sure but thats a good estimate.

I am thinkin a legend, accord, or a vigor. yea i know its honda, but civics are the worst here. any other cars you can think of? any input is really appreciated.

Originally posted by Havok@Feb 25 2005, 12:44 AM
95 Geo Hatchback. Thread over.
[post=465944]Quoted post[/post]​

smart ass

no, he's being serious.

you'll tank up once a month, and its got a decent size hatch to fit your shit in when you move home. its a perfect college car.

if you think that driving a metro will never get you laid again, go american.

seriously, you can pick up an american car from the mid 90's for a G all day.
when it dies, buy another one.
cavalier?

or hell, what about golfs/gtis?

GTI/Golf is what I was thinking of.

They are lose their value pretty fast, and from what I hear are pretty good mechanically.

It's just whenever they break, your wallet is hit.

yea i know someone that had an Aspire,pretty much the same as a metro, and yeah the gas mileage was badass, but i relly dont want one of those. I am single again thank god, so if i wanna take a girl out i dont wanna look like a fuckin idiot, you know what i mean?

oh yea and i'd own a pink and purple geo metro convertible before id ever own a cavalier. I hate those cars. the main cars i want to stay away from a are GM cars with the 4 cyls, cause i have always have pretty bad experience with them.

i checked out the Vdubs rightnow, pretty good prices. what do you guys thiink about a Corrado. i definetly like those better than the jetta, but its a little older

i would stay away from a legend if u care about good gas mileage

i have 1 and it sure is a pimp car and i love it but as far as gas mileage its not too good and also uses premium fuel on top of that

Originally posted by MadMaXXX@Feb 25 2005, 02:15 PM
i would stay away from a legend if u care about good gas mileage

i have 1 and it sure is a pimp car and i love it but as far as gas mileage its not too good and also uses premium fuel on top of that
[post=466129]Quoted post[/post]​

damn didnt know that.

VW Golf
Mazda Protege / 323
Mazda MX-3 V6 :) :) :)
Corolla / Geo Prizm
Suzuki Swift / Geo Metro

One of my friends used to have one, and he liked it- I just find them very interesting, since the V6 was only 1.8L. They're fun little cars- almost as small as the CRX, and still tons of ways to mod and play around with.

E had one before the insight. its a nice little car. great in the snow too

damn, a V6 1.8? wtf? thats funy, whenever i would see one of those with the V6 i would think, damn that must be pretty fast, since its as small as the crx almost.

Im a fan of the Carrado's and if you ever did decide to mod it there are some things you can do. I belive some of them came stock with a Supercharger.

Your V-Dub Idea is ok......but just ok.
Between my brother and I, we have owned both an 87 GTI 16V (With 2.0L Passat 16V Engine swap), and a 91 Corrado G60.

The Corrado was cool for about a month. Parts are expensive and rare. The G60 engine (supercharged I4) is crap...simply put. Handling was pretty good overall. Gas milage was tolerable. Insurance was absoultely rediculously expensive. If you go this route, get a VR6.

The Golf GTI 16V was great. But you said you wanted a mid 90's car so no 16V for you. You get the 8V. With the engine swap, the car was really fast...with the stock 16V, it was quick. Tranny was ok. Gas was great. Insurance was tolerable. Good overall except when it came time to do maintenence.....holy sheep-shit!!!! We didnt even use VW parts....we used blank German parts.....still retardedly expensive.

Just a warning.......VW=$$$

But the way I see it, you either pay rediculous prices for a car that doesn't break down often, or you pay cheap prices for a car that breaks down all the time.

R

BUG,BUG,BUG....punch buggy! VW is the best on gas! With a decent body you wont look that corny :burnout:

Back