need some help with code p0453

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

t3t4delsol

ok, well I finally fired the sol back up yesterday after just rebuilding the motor and I am getting code p0453. My sol was turbo but is no longer, I put everything back close to stock, now my question is that when I was turbo I had a resistor box wired into my injectors. I talked to my tuner yesterday and he told me to take the power feed that went to my resistor box and wire it back into all of the power feeds for the injectors, which I did. but now im wondering if I should reconnect all the wires to there own power feeds, if thats what I would need to do to clear the code. I'm including some pics showing what im referring too.

picture058-4atqjjktb.jpeg

this is the location of the wires in the car

picture060-fhdgh57e.jpeg

also I dont have the original ob2a p28 that came in the car, I used a ob2a p2p in its place, although I dont think that is the problem, btw the car is a 97 sol si and the motor is a d16y8. I also dont have the original fuel pump in I have a 255 walbro but I cant see that causing a issue

bump, I re solders all the wires but im still getting the code, anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
i believe P0453 is the fuel tank pressure sensor - the code usually appears when the gas cap is loose or isn't holding pressure

I thought that too, but I took my car for emission and state inspection and the gas cap test passed, I have been opening the gas cap to relive the pressure before I start the car so the code doesnt appear. I have a 255 walbro in the tank and I wasn't sure if the pressure relief valve was on that pump or not? I believe the stock pump has it built into the pump but im not sure about the walbro

bump, still getting the code even if I open the cap to relive the pressure. Im not sure if its a problem with the fuel pump, I was looking around online a came across a site saying the code was to much voltage, which I dont understand how I could get to much voltage back there.

Also im not sure if the all power feeds are in the correct locations for the injectors, so there probably firing in incorrect order, but if that was the case would that cause this code?

I need this problem fixed asap because my inspection and emissions are over 2 years old, and I need to drive right now to get to work. I cant pass emissions until I get atleast 150 miles on my ecu because all the sensor will not read correctly for the emissions testing. So it needs to be code free.

you can always jerry rig a resistor in to feed for the pumps power to drop the voltage and see if that cures the issue, atleast that would give you an idea, as for the injectors firing wrong seems that would cause erratic idling and power issues.., but yes the injectors would cause a code to appear, but not that code, it is a fuel issue, you might need to "re learn the brain too" seems i seen a thread about that on here. I wish you the best of luck, post your progress, i will also research the issue for you too, keep us posted

I took the walbro pump out yesterday and the filter on the pump was a little dirty, I pored some gas in a coffee can and tried swishing it around, but it didn't seem like it cleaned it all that well. would the code be caused but that being dirty? meaning that if the filter was dirty would it cause the pump to work harder to get the proper fuel pressure, would that increase the voltage?

also where can I get a filter for a 255 walbro at?

Saturated systems run 12 volts to the Injestors and the ECU makes them pulse to deliver the fuel (Low flow / high impedance)

Peak and hold are a high flow low impedance injector. mainly for higher performance engines.. They use a peak and hold driver to activate them. 12 volts is still delivered to a peak and hold system, but at low resistance through the peak and hold driver (more current better response)

Grab a multi meter / ohm meter and measure the resistance across an injector's contacts.. 12-16 ohms will be a saturated style injector, while 2-5 ohms will be a peak and hold injector.. You should have checked on that before you went running 12 running any power to them.. hopefully they're ok cause you can burn the injectors up if your not careful when putting power to them.. Chances are you have a peak and hold system if its still the same after marker injectors you would have had in there with a turbo setup.. Also did someone program your compter for a turbo setup? May need to get it flashed..

I returned the car to n/a, the stock saturated 240cc are back in the car. Ive already checked the ohms in the injectors and they are fine. I'm back to obd2, not the same ecu as stock because the stock was a obd2a p28 which are rare and im not paying the price that people want for them. so I put a obd2a p2p in its place, Both ecu's are made for the d16y8 and I dont think thats the problem.

When i was turbo I converted to obd1 using a obd2a to obd1 harness from boomslang and had a obd1 p28 tuned with chrome pro, tuned on 440cc RC injectors.

also the stock fuel maps wouldn't even be able to make the car start if I still had the 440cc installed

P0453 Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor Circuit High Voltage
really dont know why theres a low and high voltage sensor though. hope that helps

I took the walbro pump out yesterday and the filter on the pump was a little dirty, I pored some gas in a coffee can and tried swishing it around, but it didn't seem like it cleaned it all that well. would the code be caused but that being dirty? meaning that if the filter was dirty would it cause the pump to work harder to get the proper fuel pressure, would that increase the voltage?

also where can I get a filter for a 255 walbro at?

no that would not increase the voltage at all, use your multimeter and take readings, at idle and while putting a load on the engine. look for a spike

Wrong ECU??

A P2P ECu is from a 96-98 EX, correct? Those were equipped Fuel Tank Pressure sensor that your gas tank may not have. Try a different ECU.

I went on FF-Squad TEch and found a fix.

1. Get the correct ECU
  2. Convert back to OBD1
  3. Install a 10k linear potentiometer: Radio Shack Part Number 271-1715.
  4. Replace the gas tank with a FTP Sensor equipped tank.
Heres a link for more detailed info. .:FFS TechNet : OBD2 Code 91 Issue & Fix :.

HTH

- J

Back