need some IE help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

punkyjewster41

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but it was just getting really annoying. I use firefox as my browser, but still everytime i start up my computer IE opens up automatically and stalls or slows my computer down. Does anyone know how to undo the setting to make it automatically open when i start my computer?

Had the same problem, and i'm pretty sure there is no way to stop it.

Best bet is too use Adaware, spy sweeper, seek & destroy, or any other spyware demolishing device to get rid of all the shit on your computer.

Other than that, your only choice is to reformat. I dunno what else to tell you.

Stay away from pr0n sites. :ph34r:

Did IE get put in your startup folder? Go to

C:\Documents and Settings\*Username*\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

where *Username* is the name that you logon as. If there is an IE icon there just delete it.

Open "run" from the start menu, type in msconfig and hit enter. Open the startup tab, and see if "Internet Explorer" is on teh list, and if it is, see if it's checked. If it is checked, uncheck it, and hit "apply" Then reboot.

^^ I don't think thats going to work. I have a feeling he has mad spyware problems.

go to http://www.lavasoft.com and download Ad-Aware. Run that and see if that takes care of the problem. If you can't remove the spyware with Ad-Aware, I suggest you back everything up and reinstall windows. I had to do this a couple of times when I got horrible spyware.

start-> run
msconfig

start up

uncheck all the crap you don't need.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 7 2005, 08:18 PM
start-> run
msconfig

start up

uncheck all the crap you don't need.
[post=536966]Quoted post[/post]​

That's what I am saying :) I think it is just a misconfiguration somewhere, clciked a "yes" to do something without thinking about it. Just I haven't heard of a spyware/malware that opens IE at start up, of course there are millions of them out there.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 7 2005, 01:25 PM
Open "run" from the start menu, type in msconfig and hit enter. Open the startup tab, and see if "Internet Explorer" is on teh list, and if it is, see if it's checked. If it is checked, uncheck it, and hit "apply" Then reboot.
[post=536955]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks, worked perfect

Cool. Now if it starts doing it again, than we can assume an outside force is causing it to open itself. If that's the case, we can figure it out.

Back