1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Alternator

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by 4DRB16A, May 8, 2006.

1. 4DRB16A

4DRB16A Senior Member

Well my battery light started to come on a few days ago. And then my dash lights started getting really dim and my horn sounded really weak. So I bought a new battery since the one I had was over 3 yrs old. Well everything was fine until today when the same thing happened before.

So I came to the conclusion that it is my alternator. My question is I have a 500 watt Memphis Amp pushing 2 12's and a 50x4 rms Pioneer 4-channel amp pushing 2 sets of Polk Audio 6.5"DBs. The alternator I have now is obviously too small to take this much amperage for so long, and I checked with my local battery man and there is not a rebuild kit for it.

So is there another type of alternator that I can swap in there that will be enough to power my car and accessories.

P.S. EX model with power windows.

2. TommyTheCat

TommyTheCat Gonzo Scientist

That's really not too much for a stock alt. I had my MBquart amps running 2x100W and 1x1000W with no problems ever with an old battery. Ran that system from fall all the way till about a month ago, flawless beating throughout winter.

I would say your alt just met its maker. First try seeing what you could buy a stock alt for from a shop/junk yard. Then try eBay. If you really need a bigger alt, try a 100 amp from http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics . His site is down, but if you want his number you can pm me.

3. 4DRB16A

4DRB16A Senior Member

So when I shop for a new alt since I have the b16a motor swap, will an alternator for a d-series 1.6 work fine or will I have to get another one?

4. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

D series won't work as far as i've read.
    B series, get the right OBD.
    (I'm pushing 1200 watts with no problems)

5. 4DRB16A

4DRB16A Senior Member

I just went to local shop and got it rebuilt and installed for $160. All my lights in my car seem brighter than before and my headlights dont dim when I have it on full blast.

Guess my alt has been bad since I got the motor and finally decided to crap out.

6. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

I had a system in my teg, and it blew 4 alternators(total of 5 including stock)
    I put a capacitor in, and havent had a problem since then.(would blow one every 3 months or so) Alternators are holding up now. Ive had this alternator in for about 2 years not one problem. I know a lot of people on here are against them, but it worked for me.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted