New Alternator

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4DRB16A

Well my battery light started to come on a few days ago. And then my dash lights started getting really dim and my horn sounded really weak. So I bought a new battery since the one I had was over 3 yrs old. Well everything was fine until today when the same thing happened before.

So I came to the conclusion that it is my alternator. My question is I have a 500 watt Memphis Amp pushing 2 12's and a 50x4 rms Pioneer 4-channel amp pushing 2 sets of Polk Audio 6.5"DBs. The alternator I have now is obviously too small to take this much amperage for so long, and I checked with my local battery man and there is not a rebuild kit for it.

So is there another type of alternator that I can swap in there that will be enough to power my car and accessories.

P.S. EX model with power windows.

That's really not too much for a stock alt. I had my MBquart amps running 2x100W and 1x1000W with no problems ever with an old battery. Ran that system from fall all the way till about a month ago, flawless beating throughout winter.

I would say your alt just met its maker. First try seeing what you could buy a stock alt for from a shop/junk yard. Then try eBay. If you really need a bigger alt, try a 100 amp from http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics . His site is down, but if you want his number you can pm me.

So when I shop for a new alt since I have the b16a motor swap, will an alternator for a d-series 1.6 work fine or will I have to get another one?

Quoted post[/post]]
So when I shop for a new alt since I have the b16a motor swap, will an alternator for a d-series 1.6 work fine or will I have to get another one?
D series won't work as far as i've read.
B series, get the right OBD.
(I'm pushing 1200 watts with no problems)

I just went to local shop and got it rebuilt and installed for $160. All my lights in my car seem brighter than before and my headlights dont dim when I have it on full blast.

Guess my alt has been bad since I got the motor and finally decided to crap out.

I had a system in my teg, and it blew 4 alternators(total of 5 including stock)
I put a capacitor in, and havent had a problem since then.(would blow one every 3 months or so) Alternators are holding up now. Ive had this alternator in for about 2 years not one problem. I know a lot of people on here are against them, but it worked for me.

Back