New Build cause my last one took a crap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What are you using under Linux to get your info?

the only thing i have now is knowledge of my bios settings + lm_sensors + sensors applet to have real time read outs on the task bar. works pretty good, but i cant get any info about FSB, or memory timings (like CPUz provides) from within the OS. i can monitor temps, fan speeds, and Vcore. thats the important stuff i keep on the taskbar.

and yea jeffie, my cpu fan cranks up for about a second when i first start it up. then die back down to about 1200-1300 rpms. rear fan spins about 650rpm, 2x front fans at about 800rpms, and top 200mm fan at like 600rpm. the loudest fan in my case is without a doubt the PSU fan, which runs full blast. ive seriously considered pulling it apart and replacing the fan to a quieter one

I don't get it, I get flamed for running duel 8600 cards yet not a single person says anything about the 7300 you're running.

I even stated the computer wasnt for games. lol.

Does your computer get really loud when you first turn it on? my fans all go crazy for the first 5 seconds. then its pretty quiet.

WHAT?! You run dual 8600's WTF is wrong with you, man?! Don't you have any friggin SENSE?!

;););)

yeah it takes a few before the program loads the settings on the fans, but if u have hardware controlled fans, u dont have that situation.

anyway, jeffie he probably spent way less than you on a "non-gamers" graphic card and the sli 8600 came pretty close in price for a 8800gt or gts.

yea my card was cheap :) im actually looking to go fanless on my vid card. i dont need any crazy card. the most gaming i do is N64/psx emulation lol. i was thinking maybe a 8500 or maybe just another 7300 in fanless, im pretty happy with it. i also pulled out the stupid loud fan from the PSu and replaced it with a quiet scithe unit. MUCH quieter. you'd think having 6 fans would be loud, but its quieter than my last machine, and pretty damn quiet in general. stand 5 ft away and you hardly hear it :)

I paid 115 or so for the 8600, 1 week later the fan started to sound like shit, so I called BFG and in order to fix it I had to send it in, meaning... down time, they wouldn't let me swap it out or even pay them for a temp card, so I bought a 2nd one to use while the first was being fixed, now I'm running them both.

Only thing my video cards are for is PS. outside of that 90% of my computer power is used for music.

I run a little 256MB FX5200 in my main frontend. DVI connected via HDMI to the screen. It'll do 720p (1280x720) and 1080i (1920x1080) and I expect can do 1080p resolutions if my TV supported it :(

HD media looks fantastic, although I haven't found a good modeline for 1080i. It doesn't concern me much, I'll take a progressive display over a higher res interlaced display every time.

yea im not concerned with performance, i know anything 5200 and up will do fine, i just want one thats fanless :)

yea im not concerned with performance, i know anything 5200 and up will do fine, i just want one thats fanless :)

Well it will be easier for you to find and run an older geForce card without a fan.

5200's are a dime a dozen and need a fraction of the cooling that a newer card requires.

but the thing is that i need PCI express. they dont make 5200's in PCIe. im really looking for a card in the 6000-7000 series. but its not high priority really, just a plan for the near future.

but the thing is that i need PCI express. they dont make 5200's in PCIe. im really looking for a card in the 6000-7000 series. but its not high priority really, just a plan for the near future.

Some of the 6600's have YPbPr out, which could be useful should you lack a VGA port or your HDMI port(s) are taken.

Back