New Build cause my last one took a crap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

was that a black friday deal? its on there for 150 right now. 90 down from 150 (ripoff i know). but i dont have to deal with shipping or anything. rebate would be nice, but they take forever, if ever. i pay 5% over cost. newegg has it for 120 w/ 40 dollar rebate. but i didnt want to wait or pay for shipping.

Last edited:
oh and i had another quick question. because of the location of my IDE HD, the "slave" connector reaches the IDE port on the MB perfectly. can i connect the HD to the MB in this fashion? it really cleans up the wires as i can tuck the remaining length with the "board" connector on it away.

oh and i had another quick question. because of the location of my IDE HD, the "slave" connector reaches the IDE port on the MB perfectly. can i connect the HD to the MB in this fashion? it really cleans up the wires as i can tuck the remaining length with the "board" connector on it away.

Depends on the cable. If it's a cable select style cable, then no. I've done this a few times myself, and it all depends on the cable.

Nothing evil will happen if you try and it doesn't work, so give it a shot and see what happens.

yea ive had master on slave and slave on master before, and as long as the jumpers were right it didnt matter, but now i have master to master and then the slave ports plugged into the MB. i hope it works ok, cause it really cleans up the cables

ITS ALIVE! its a little louder than i expected...

the IDE cable worked fine like that. but for some reason the mythbuntu 7.10 installer doesnt see the 320GB OS drive, only the 3 500GB SATA drives. the XP and Kubuntu installers both see it fine :shrug2: im DL-ing the ubuntu 7.10 installer now to try that out.

edit: silent mode in the bios cut the fan speed in half. MUCH quieter. and still idles at like 28*C. this is crazy. i did end up getting the G0 stepping model too :)

Last edited:
Awesome. Time to crank that beast to at least 3.0ghz ;)

That 900 looks awesome, but my place is just too dusty and it was out of my price range. But wow, airflow like wind tunnel.

If you decide to get more fans or want to control your fans on the fly, get a Sunbeam Rheobus from svc.com. $15 plus shipping i think. Those things are great! I just got one because i have like 6 fans on my CM690 and getting way too loud. 4 Channels that can be daisy-chained with 4 fans on each, depending on fan because each channel supports up to 20watts. Best part is you can go for 0v-12v instead of most that go only 7v-12v.

i have full control of the case fan speed through the bios. its pretty sweet. i can set the speed (in terms of a percentage of full speed from 40-100%) but they have to be hooked up on the MB (the 2 front 120mm fans and top 200mm fan are not, but they arent loud anyway and have 3 speed switches). and the CPU fan is adjustable (silent, optimal, performance). turns out the CPU fan was causing the bulk of the noise. spinning at nearly 3500 RPMs. on silent mode its only about 1300 and only runs like 2 degrees warmer. i havent installed the OS yet and im already liking it.

i have full control of the case fan speed through the bios. its pretty sweet. i can set the speed (in terms of a percentage of full speed from 40-100%) but they have to be hooked up on the MB (the 2 front 120mm fans and top 200mm fan are not, but they arent loud anyway and have 3 speed switches). and the CPU fan is adjustable (silent, optimal, performance). turns out the CPU fan was causing the bulk of the noise. spinning at nearly 3500 RPMs. on silent mode its only about 1300 and only runs like 2 degrees warmer. i havent installed the OS yet and im already liking it.

Back when I was overclocking dual Celerons, I had a pair of YS Tech fans on the procs that spun at 7000+ RPMs. Talk about noise when I cranked the dials.

jesus lol .

but i got ubuntu 7.10 installed. downloading mythtv and vmware as we speakk :)

got mythtv reinstalled, and all i can say is holy crap. this thing is blazing fast. ripping a dvd used to take ~45 mins to make a full ISO copy, and now its about 10-15 mins. i even checked the file sizes to make sure it wasnt transcoding. and having an actual desktop my machine is much more versitle. i have mythtv runing on one desktop, VMware running Windows XP on another, and 2 other desktops to do whatever other stuff i want like Firefox, etc.

I just got MythTV doing internal DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding. If you've got the speakers and soundcard to do it, I say give it a shot. It sounds incredible :D

well i have like 5.1 or 7.1 HD audio build into my MB. i dont know how to access it though. maybe just cause Myth isnt configured to use it yet? got a link on how to set it up? i dont have a full 5.1 surround system (yet) but it would be nice to have something like that in my bookmarks :)

oh and sabz, i remember you saying something before about having multiple directories for video, well how do you type the multiple directories? ive tried many different things and they dont seem to work.

ive tried

Code:
/directoryA /directoryB
/directoryA, /directoryB
/directoryA; /directoryB

started tinkering with some overclocking :)

3.01 GHz, CPU multiplier 9, FSB@333MHz, Vcore@1.25V (ran 4xprime95)
3.21 GHz, CPU multiplier 8, FSB@400MHz, Vcore@1.35V (not stability tested yet)
3.61 GHz, CPU multiplier 9, FSB@400MHz, Vcore@1.45V (not stability tested yet)

3 GHz runs pretty well about 30C/55C
3.2 @ about 38/59
3.6 @ about 40/61

something weird though, at the 3.2 GHz setting, when it posts it says its running at 3.2 GHz but when it gets into ubuntu, it reports that its running at 3.6. any ideas on why it says that? also at both the 3.2 and 3.6 settings, during post it reports that its running at DDR3 - 960 rather than 1066. is this because of the 400 MHz FSB? at 266 and 333 it still says at DDR3 - 1066.

Last edited:
also core #2 (third) runs about 10 degrees colder at idle and like 5 colder at load. is this normal? temps are currently: (idle)

core#0 - 33C
core#1 - 34C
core#2 - 25C
core#3 - 30C

just seems odd

Programs dont always read the right voltage, temps, fsb, etc... I would trust the BIOS more than programs. For best temp managements I would use CoreTemp for Intel and CPU-Z for cpu and memory info. As for the DDR3 speed, check to see if you enabled auto dividers. It seems like its bumping the divider down to compensate for the overclocked CPU FSB to run 1:1 Also, 1.45v is MAX for Intel CPU chips, anymore and ull be hurting it. Try running different sets of timing, dividers, maybe pump the MCH and see if adjust vdroop helps stability. Sometimes just cracking the CPU voltage wont increase stability alone.

Good reads:
AnandTech - HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.5
AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

And lastly, for difference in temps, some cores just run hotter than others. My X2, its about 2-5 C degree difference depending on other variables. This is even more true especially since Quad is 2 Core2Duos stuck together so cooler may not have even contact on all cores. You can try to lapping the HIS and heat sink to ensure maximum contact, but will void warranty on both. Or less extreme is try remounting. I usually do 1 bb size of TIM on the cpu and squash my cpu and rotate gently to spread.

Anyway, good luck with overclocling :)

yea i just followed the instructions given by zalman. they have a thinner TIM, and it comes in a little bottle with a brush. it brushes on very thin. but im not complaining. i have a core that runs cold, better than hot IMO.

but i thought 1.5 was max. ive seen some people go over 1.5 on the OCforums (although i wouldnt)

and coretemp and cpuz dont run on linux :( i had CPUz running under wine (a windows emulator) but it gives me almost no information. im a bit confused because some other people have had success in getting it to work but i cant seem to get it to work for me. oh well.

yea i just followed the instructions given by zalman. they have a thinner TIM, and it comes in a little bottle with a brush. it brushes on very thin. but im not complaining. i have a core that runs cold, better than hot IMO.

but i thought 1.5 was max. ive seen some people go over 1.5 on the OCforums (although i wouldnt)

and coretemp and cpuz dont run on linux :( i had CPUz running under wine (a windows emulator) but it gives me almost no information. im a bit confused because some other people have had success in getting it to work but i cant seem to get it to work for me. oh well.

What are you using under Linux to get your info?

I don't get it, I get flamed for running duel 8600 cards yet not a single person says anything about the 7300 you're running.

I even stated the computer wasnt for games. lol.

Does your computer get really loud when you first turn it on? my fans all go crazy for the first 5 seconds. then its pretty quiet.

Back