New Car Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BallinPrelude

Is it a good idea to buy a car that already has a swap in it? Im not sure if this has been posted before but i just yesterday saw both a civic and a prelude that were for sale and it had a H22A4 swap in them. Im not a huge civic fan but i love preludes so i was thinking bout shootin for it or another one of my buddies was contemplating buying it. What do u think about it? What precautions do u reccomend i do? Or is it an all round bad idea? Thanks

Depends on how the install was done?did they beat it likie a red headed step child?Did they maintain it?

My buddy said it looked good but he doesnt know shit. Also he said the guy who owned BOTH of the cars said he changed the oil when it was due and took care of it. I dont know if this is true i havent had time to check it out myself or not. I just wanted oppinions if it was a good idea or not, i have heard both.

i think if you're going to buy something like that you should definately have it checked by a professional(unless you have the know-how to do it yourself). if the car doesn't cost that much you should fork out the extra cash and just have it rebuilt so you know you have a good motor on your hands.

take it to a mechanic, have it checked out, drive it, see what YOU think. also, pick his brain and see what he REALLY knows.

in my opinion, unless you have done or consider yourself able to do a h22 civic swap (one of the most difficult swaps) then don't buy it! only because the h22 really does not belong in a civic, you may have axle problems and not know what axle or axles to get, you have shifting problems and not understand how to fix a cable shift civic :unsure: . . . and the wiring, how well was it wired, did the person who swapped the motor use the same wiring colors, what ECU is the motor using . . . who knows if the just stuffed a junkyard motor in with the OG water pump. changing a T-belt and water pump on a h22 isn't that hard in a prelude but honda didn't have to take a 5 pound sleghammer to the left front shock tower to fit the h22 in the prelude

in short, i think buying an already swapped car is just buying someone elses problems . . . and you can't buy a manual on how they wired it.

Back