New clutch...Big problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dcvt16l

the engine is a 89' d16a6. using stock 89 flywheel. i bought an exedy clutch kit(stock replacement). i tourqued the flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts to spec, new throw out bearing as well. heres the problem:
if i adjust the clutch so it grabs at the top off the pedal i can push it in about 3-4 inches and it will go into gear anything past that it acts as if the clutch pedal is not depressed and i cant put it in gear. no matter how i adjust the clutch it only has a few inches. right now its adjusted so if i put it to the floor i can shift but the freeplay is several inches. i figured i'd drive it around and see if it brakes in and now it chaters a good amount when letting it out slowly, and no change in clutch pedal travel after 75 miles. sorry for the long post but i really dont want to tear it all apart, i just got done putting the motor together and it has to go for smog by the end of the month. thanx in advance
*edit* and it doesnt grab for shit, it doesnt slip, just not grab like an new clutch.
Ehren

did you bleed the clutch slave cylinder line?
i just got done putting a new clutch kit in my 95 teg and it rumbles a little when i let it out slowly.

i was thinking of bleeding too... but if it's cable then i think you should check the cable for breakage, take a look at the adjuster screw and try to adjust that too. otherwise i have no other idea...except to take the tranny off and look at the clutch components.it might just be that you have bought a bad plate, as for the chattering it might be because the clutch disc was a bad buy. I had act organic and it rattled like crazy, took off my tranny looked it up and found that the springs in the disc were all loose and stuff.( which they shouldn't be)

you didnt put the friction disc in backwards right?

did you resurface the flywheel?

could be that the cable is stretched too...

Back