New Cobalt SS runs 8:22 at Nurburg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

some rotas and a lip kit and it's not far off from an '07 civic.

i see the cobalt as a fun gas saving car..it looks very reto fit toward the neon..but thats just my 0.02 cents

Anything under a 9min lap is impressive. I'd be happy with a 11 minute lap; but that comes along with knowledge of the course.

RWD and FWD drive are ranked differently on the 'ring, along with front and mid engined machines. Locally, stock turbo doesn't change the grouping, as long as the whole car is stock. Stock cars are only ranked against other stock cars of the same class. One thing to keep in mind is that there are Official times, and there are Unofficial times. Bridge to Gantry is a method of measuring times on tourist days, but it's pretty dumb to time yourself inside the car, as most insurance is negated by a 'time trial'. I just looked at the lap times on the official site, and I don't see anything on there about the cobalt SS, but wikipedia says that it's a "manufacturer claimed time". I seem to remember seeing something about a method to 'simulate a nurburgring run' a few months back, quite possibly this is what has happened.

But honestly, when the new CTR can get 8:45.25, @200HP who'se to say a mugen tuned ctr won't beat it? This argument can go on forever. I agree though that comparing a F/I car with a N/A car is a little insane. Also, a cobalt beating an Audi S5 is pretty hard to believe, having driven the latter. This boils down to another ploy from detroit trying to sound special. They beat out a GT-R. Come on.
the ctr has more than 200hp

Right before I bought my s2k I test drove the supercharged Cobalt and it felt like the srt4 did.( friend has one and have drivin it quite freqently ) It rushed though the gears quick like it made stupid power but had absolutly no top-end and didn't handle as well as the s2000, not to say either arte bad cars, they just arn't an s2000.
So I believe I can vouch that the ever-so-slightly improved turbo cobalt would never touch an AP1, much less the other cars on this list, on the nuburgring for that matter. Nuburg is such a LONG track, comprised of stupid long straits that end in stupid tight turns. A good comparison would be to fire up ol' GranTurismo 4 and take a time trial in an srt4, then do it in a GTR. I know video games are no substitute for real life, but thats a damn good comparison.

As for GM. They like to make comments about snuffing other cars. Remember what they said on the Solstice GXP comercials.... " faster than a Porsche Boxter". Notice they didn't say Boxter S ? Think about it, How many of us ( HS'ers ) own vehicles that are faster than a Porsche Boxter? I bet you'll lose count.

holy shit, is that an FMIC?

it looks like they are trying to replace the srt-4. if they had some better paint schemes it wouldn't look too bad. but they are generic cars. i would rather have that power plant in something that looks a little better. i still think "chevy cavalier" when i see it.

maybe black with some 15" flat black wheels and lowered it would look a world better.

That's cause that's what it is, it's the cavalier's replacement.

My ex had a 4 door, one of our friends had the 2dr. The non-SS models sucks ass and driving that base model turned me off completely.

Now I have a close to base model civic and am semi satisfied, sure I'd be happier with an Si but I can drive my LX and be somewhat happy with it, I can't say the same for that Cobalt.

That's cause that's what it is, it's the cavalier's replacement.

My ex had a 4 door, one of our friends had the 2dr. The non-SS models sucks ass and driving that base model turned me off completely.

Now I have a close to base model civic and am semi satisfied, sure I'd be happier with an Si but I can drive my LX and be somewhat happy with it, I can't say the same for that Cobalt.
i know, but if you are to take a car and remodel then turbo it, i don't think it should look like the old one.

if you saw a 1997 del sol with a turbo kit and hid's would you think "crx"? probably not. they are more like cousins than brothers.

the car still sucks. if i had a choice for under $20k new car, i think i would have to go with something else. not sure what though.

Even these new cars cant beat out the staple of cheap performance - the turbo Nissan S - chassis.

Eh, you will never catch me in a Cobalt or an SRT-4 for that matter.

If I'm going to spend that kind of cash, I'd rather have a used Evo or STi.

It is cool that Chevy is in tune with the aftermarket world, though. Honda should try some of that. Factory turbo'd K anyone? Haha, just kidding.

Eh, you will never catch me in a Cobalt or an SRT-4 for that matter.

If I'm going to spend that kind of cash, I'd rather have a used Evo or STi.

It is cool that Chevy is in tune with the aftermarket world, though. Honda should try some of that. Factory turbo'd K anyone? Haha, just kidding.
i hope because there is already a factory k lol

Factory turbo'd K though?

I'm not sure whats in the new RDX turbo's, I know its a 2.3 litre turbo. Is that a K-Series?

Yes sir... I hear the reason people arn't swapping them is because the blocks don't mate up to the 6 speed trans

Ok I have some much better pics.
2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_16_gallery_image_large.jpg

Back