1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New EK Hatch build with very specific goals. Need some advice!

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by braggadoshis, Sep 2, 2011.

1. braggadoshis

braggadoshis New Member

I recently decided to sell my wife's 05' Grand Cherokee as we both have SUV's and I wanted something more fun with better gas mileage. A few weeks of looking at A LOT of cars new and used has ended me up here. I am very attracted to the performance that can be with these swaps for a reasonable dollar amount. The used/new cars I was most interested in were the VW GTI, and Mini Cooper S. I was actually very impressed by the looks of an EK Hatch with a solid paintjob, and decided to look into buying one to mod. I do not have one yet, but in my area it will probably run me $2500-3000 so factor that into the price of everything else.

My Goal: Use the roughly $10k I will be getting from the sale of the cherokee to get a reliable daily driver, that compares to the drive of a Mini Cooper S.

Additional Info:
    -I will be going automatic as I am stuck in heavy traffic for 2-3 hours every other day.
    -I will be redoing much of the interior like leather/dash/headunit/solid SQ system so not all of the $10k is going to the swap/tuning.
    -I will be getting a new Charcoal paintjob and good rims/tires if I find a good deal
    -I am not interested in racing at all at the moment. I just like gunning it light to light, and having a little fun on a freeway onramp/offramp,passing cars, or bombing down an empty street late at night.
    -None of the swap will be done myself. I will be handling the majority of the interior fixes and sound system, but don't trust myself with that. How much should the swap cost me for labor?

I have been researching a lot into the different engine swaps, but most of the information I am finding is catered towards people looking to street race or take it to a track. So what engine would people recommend for a FUN, RELIABLE, daily driver that performs like a Mini Cooper S? From what I have read the B18C1 or B18C5 seem like the right choice, as the HP is very comparable to the Mini Cooper, but if there is a cheaper swap that can get me the feel of the Mini I would love to hear about it. Also, where do I buy a B18 engine? I can't really find a place online that is selling them for the prices I hear other people talking about.

Thanks a ton for any advice I get! I hope to get the balling rolling on this within the next 2 weeks.

2. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

You're really limiting yourself by choosing to keep it automatic. You can do a B18 swap, but your only readily-available option for a transmission will be the Integra RS/LS/GS transmission, which is a 4 speed that's geared for mileage and not performance.

They did make some automatic B16 and B18C trannys with sportier gearing in Japan, but finding one of those stateside will be a trick, and most likely, expensive. And as far as I know, they never made any automatic Type Rs, so if you absolutely MUST keep it automatic, I'd stay away from a B18C5 or a B16. Those engines are rev happy, and they really NEED a short-geared transmission to get the most out of them. The B18C1 (Integra GS-R engine) would suit the LS transmission a little better, but even then, it's not an ideal setup and it most likely won't satisfy you if you're looking for a Cooper S type experience...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  3. braggadoshis

braggadoshis New Member

Thanks for the response Brutal. I was not aware I would be limiting myself that much by wanting to go automatic. I actually have never driven stick, and was trying to avoid it, but if I need to I will go learn in my friends car. If I do go manual, do the B18C's satisfy what I am trying to do?

4. braggadoshis

braggadoshis New Member

You thinking of doing the same stageone?

5. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

Yes, I think the B18C1 swap should satisfy you. The Cooper S has gotten a bit faster over the years (it was about a 16 second 1/4 mile back in 02ish, but now it's more like 15 seconds). An EK Civic with a full GS-R swap and some trimmings (intake, header, exhaust, maybe some tuning) could easily put up numbers like that.

As for driving a manual in heavy traffic, it can be a bit annoying, but I do it every day and don't mind at all. It's totally worth it for when you get a stretch of road where you can open it up. My opinion anyway...

6. braggadoshis

braggadoshis New Member

Thanks Brutal. I think I will go that direction with this. Would I "feel" a significant power increase from the B18C1 to the B18C5? If it is really only going to help top speed I dont care since I am never going over 90ish.

7. RoughKnight

RoughKnight Christmas Car

No, you won't, it's a vary slight power increase for the amount of cash you shell out. Transmission wise, it'll be a lot faster due to shorter gears.

Sent from my iPhone using awesomeness

8. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

9. braggadoshis

braggadoshis New Member

Awesome! Thanks for your help guys!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted