New hard drive, copied files old to new.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
I just bought a Seagate 200gb hard drive and I would like to copy over my old 140gb hard drive. I used Seagates own program for doing a full disk format/copy And everything seems peachy.

However when I go to load windows using the new drive it hangs at the blue screen with the small windows XP (this is after the little blue bar screen)

I've tried doing harddisk copy with 3 different software programs and everytime I have the same problem at the same spot.

Everything seems to be a perfect copy I counted the windows folder files and both harddrives have the same # of files as with size.

I'm thinking that maybe somehow its renaming some of the startup files to run off of d: rather then c: other then that I have no idea.

All I know is I'm tired of F-ing with this drive and I just want the damn thing to work with out having to install a fresh windows copy on it. I've done a shitload of harddrive copies over the years using 98 or older OS and have NEVER once had a problem.

Any ideas?

boot to recovery console (hope to god you installed it) by pressing F8 on startup. then type format /fixmbr

Back