New here, blew a head gasket...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRX2NR18

Hey everyone i drive an 89 CRX Hf, i blew a head gasket today, and i have an extra SI head laying around, i did a search n didnt find much but would it be safe to put an SI head on HF block? What would the compression ratio be? could i run pump gas? and would it be reliable? oh and what else am i going to need? like timing belt?
thanks guys

I'm guessing that would be ok. If you did that then you probably would need a new computer (pm6) but should be ok as far as I know. Compression and other specs I would have no idea, ask another person here for that.

You'll need the Si computer, intake manifold and distributor and I think thats it. If you want VTEC your going to have to wire it up too...and tap your block for the oil to the head for vtec (see an article on an LS/VTEC setup, that would be applicable in that your putting a VTEC head on a non-VTEC block).
Theres an article sort of like this in the "articles" section.
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29791

No you can NOT do that. The Hf is a 8 Valve motor the Si is a 16 valve motor. The hf pistons do not have reliefs for the extra 8 valves you will bend 8 valves if you do that. You are better off replaceing the head gasket for a quick reliable fix. Or getting your self a new motor. Any D series will drop in matched w/ you existing tranny. If you decided to swap motors and stick with a D series civic motor I would suggest up gradeing trannys and hubs. If you stick with the tranny you have you may possiable break the axles with a more powerful engine. As the HF tranny axles are much weaker then the si.

Good luck

uh... I think he's talking about a crx si head, not a b16a head. I've read on this site before about swapping a crx si head onto an hf block. Form what I've read the block is the same, you will bump the compression slightly higher. There is no vtec on a crx si head, so don't listen to the previous post. Just look around on the site, and something is bound to turn up. It is doable.

cool thanks guys , so does that mean i will have to get an SI timing belt too? or can i just take the cam gear off the HF head and put it on ?? sry i have alot of questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back