New Idea

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mdlax1

I watch the history channel a lot (im a nerd) and i've seen the commercial before but didnt' post anything anyway.. you guys hear about GE's "color infused scratch resisitant plastic"? I guess it's plastic coating with color in it that goes on a car instead of paint..

i dont know if it's or not.. i doubt it but pretty good idea if you think about it.. not that good for big show people repainting and stuff but still great idea.

so is it basicly like a saturn body panel? If so, i guess that the body panels might be lighter then the metal ones.

Graham crackers don't weigh much either, but if I cladded my chassis in them, I don't think they'd stand up to a 4,000-lb SUV slamming into the side of me. Maybe if I had airbags though. :p

as far as I'm aware dodge has been really interested in the solid color scratch resistant plastic. I'm not sure if it's 100% plastic or pvc or whatever composition it my be. but it's very cheap to mold and cut's down on labor cost in production. no need to paint the car, just a final sanding and a clear coat for shine. hell I'm all for it. leaves more money to be put into engineering design etc.... and think about it most cars doon't rely on body panels for damage control, they has a frame that they rely on for that.

I think its funny when a saturn gets hit or damaged and has a hole in the plastic fenders.

the box of chevy sportside pikups is a plastic hybred. it makes sense for a truck.

have you seen the body panel gaps on the new saturns? you park a mini in a few of them.

as far as cars go there are far liter slightly less durable materials our there.

Anyone have the pic of the Avalanche that had the plastic sanded smooth and painted to match? The only Avalache I've liked the looks of.
Think it was in 4-Wheeler

Yea i saw the comercial today. It looks ok. They have some weird concept veichle as the car that gets it. I wonder if they are going to be able to do matalic paint like silver? In the comercial, all they had was nonmatalilc red.

shyt looks pretty cool to me, seems like a good idea. Never have to paint your car again? I'll take it. Scratch resistent, non fading. And if you have seen the commercial, it shines pretty nice.

Lets put it this way...You decide to gun it and beat the yellow light. A guy runs a red and is about to hit ya right on the drivers side. Which would you rather have: a piece of plastic that never needs painting? Or a some high quality steel / alloy that will rust over time? :spin:

Originally posted by 4doors4life@Feb 6 2003, 03:45 PM
Lets put it this way...You decide to gun it and beat the yellow light. A guy runs a red and is about to hit ya right on the drivers side. Which would you rather have: a piece of plastic that never needs painting? Or a some high quality steel / alloy that will rust over time? :spin:

I pick Aluminum or CF. Really the body panels dont do that much. When a car hits you, the inner steel crash supports do a hell of a lot more than the body panels(unless it is a rino that is chaseing you and he puts his horn right between the skeliton)

have you seen the body panel gaps on the new saturns? you park a mini in a few of them.

That what I meant about those plastic doors...seems like there is no inner reinforcement. So I should probably restate my questions so it says:

plastic with body panel gaps vs. sheet metal w/aluiminum/steel composite alloy thingy reinforcement

:D

Fact: The more impact the body to your car absorbs, the less shock you absorb. So if you have a hard steel body you will absorb more shock. I'd rather have a pastic car that looks good then get hurt if I ever do crash.

To all you shallow-minded fools out there; I'm pretty sure that if the car manufacturers wanted to implement a plastic or fiberglass design as part of their vehicle's structure then wouldn't you think their engineers are testing it with crash dummies and such? Besides DOT are very strict about shit like that. I say the lighter the better and I'm almost positive that if it was to be designed and used in automotives, they would make it pretty tough. I should know; I deal with high pressure composite shit like storing compressed natural gas in 3600PSI within a fiberglass cylinders. In all honesty, I think it's also good for the environment using plastics. It's the way of the future; saves gas and the ozone. Hmmm...???

Back