New problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

I was driving to go pick up my dad today from the airport, after about a 10 minute trip at about 50-60 MPH and right before the airport, the car had a very quick, abrupt, loss of power. This continued when I took my dad to the next location. It didnt 'feel' like a misfire, I get plenty of those, know what they feel like. It felt like something may have put a drag on a belt or possibly something in the tranny didnt quite work right. the engine kept going, but its like the power didnt make it to the wheels. It started at high speeds, but gradually started happening lower. we stopped to eat and it pretty much behaved the whole way home after that. I filled the coolant, as I have had to do every few days as of late, and checked the belt, didnt seem to have any probs. I was thinking maybe a pump or something might be putting drag on the belt?

my first guess would be draggin brakes, but why the need to fill the coolant???

this is indicative of other MAJOR problems...

Not sure, i think ive been burning the coolant. I have many indicators the head gasket is going or gone. smoke, misfires, oil on spark plugs, just to name a few. I would think dragging brakes would be a gradual off and on, but I cant say id be surprised. The pedal travel has been different on different days.

lmao... all the indicators but you ignore them?

headgasket prob took another step towards the eventual death of the motor...

fix it before you over heat, spin a bearing due to coolant in oil, warp the head, get excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber due to buring massive amounts of oil, etc etc...

heh, the carbon is already there, the car sounds like a diesel when im going up hill sometimes. I know the engine is near death, just didnt know if I had to fix something ASAP to keep it running, or if I can hold out till I get the ZC, about a month or so.

i'm guessing your power loss is the loss of a cylinder or serious loss of compression, most likely only in one cylinder though

you could throw a head gasket on it, or try and drive it for a month...
as long as you don' t over heat it, keep all fluids up to spec, and be gentle it might make it a month...

i think you will have ample warning before it leaves you stranded...
unless you have coolant in the oil, which could lead to a sudden early demise...

Yeah, a friend and I checked the compression 130 in all but one, that one= 90

when you had the loss of power,did you step on the gas a little to get back to normal? I ask thid because my rex does this ONLY when i keep the pedal in the same position for a long time. Like when i drive down a long road at 50 mph.It will suddenly feel''clogged'' but as soon as i step on the gas alittle it guickly ''unclogges''. :blink:

Mine seems to happen either
when I keep it at the same RPM and speed for a while (interstate driving) or
when I push it real hard. Pressing the gas only makes it more frequent, the best solution that I have found is to downshift or let the car slow down a little.

wel i guess my throttle needs a little cleaning to lubricat things back up. Thats all i had to ask,sorry i cant help you there bud

Back