1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New suspension toys for me

Discussion in 'Auto Multi-Media' started by Prowler, May 31, 2004.

1. Prowler

Prowler Super Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully I'll get it installed end of next week. :woo:

Now a quick few questions:

What are the recommended settings to ride on the struts with?

Can i remove the oem springs w/o a spring compressor? If so, how hard is it? Any precautions to take? Any walkthroughs? I've done 3 spring installs, but each time I had a spring compressor and it took forever with hand tools.

And should I wait a week or more for the springs to settle before getting an alignment?

2. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

:thumbsup: I like the neuspeed sports. I had the race on my old hatch, they were aight on stock struts.

I personally have just let the springs shoot across the room when un doing them, lol its horrible, and unsafe. I don't really recommend it....

I would find a spring compressor of some kind, you could probably buy one, use it, and take it back from schucks or something once you're done using it.

3. Speedracer228

Speedracer228 ......

what i did with mine was compress the spring still in the car with a jack underneath it, then took the top nut off and let it down slowly. worked for me

4. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

You don't need to compress the springs at all. Just take out the entire stock damper as one unit seeing as how you have new springs and shocks anyway. No need to remove the springs from the shock body if you're not reusing the OE pieces.

5. Prowler

Prowler Super Moderator

i still need the top hat.

6. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

Oh yeah, shit. I was thinking of suspension kits that come with pillowball mounts. Well, you can still take the whole thing out as one unit and then use compressors and an impact wrench to compress 'em super fast :D

7. Prowler

Prowler Super Moderator

like i said earlier, i just have hand tools. that's why i don't want to use a spring compressor.

i dont' think getting the oem assembly apart will be the problem. what i need to know is if the neuspeed springs will need to be compressed at all during install

8. 90 accord

90 accord Chicks dig the box Moderator VIP

i didnt use a spring compressor when i did the suspension on the accord, but i would highly recomend one..

i had 2 guys helping me when installing the new stuff. 2 were pushing up, and the other threaded the nut on the top of the shock. was a pain in the ass

9. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

I have neuspeed race springs and i did not have to use a spring compressor to put the neuspeed springs on the struts(tokico blues)> But please do the the right way and go spend the money to rent a spring compressor, or buy one, you can get cheap ones for lie 25 a set. Its very unsafe to remove a spring assempbly without compressing it properly. I would not reccomend it to anyone. Can it be done? Yes. but not worth the danger in my eyes.

10. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

just hav a buddy handy.
    drop all four
    go to a muffler/shock shop and have them compress them on their wall-mount. probably do it for 15 bucks.

11. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

:werd:

I pop off the OEM springs without a compressor, but I still use air tools... go to a shop- it's just safer that way.

12. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

I used a compressor man. Rented it from a local equipment place for like 12 dollars. That shit can kill you easily, I wouldn't really fuck with it.

13. Prowler

Prowler Super Moderator

14. La_Pieuvre

La_Pieuvre Senior Member

yeah I remember when we popped off my oem springs without the compressor. Still have the scar to show it :p You remember, don't you Mike? :lol:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted