Nikola Tesla

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I build Tesla coils. Wanna see one ?

I'm about 4 minutes into this and it's full of shit. This documentary sucks.

He didn't "dream of harnessing Niagara Falls since he was a child".

Edit: Edison didn't kill a fucking dog.

Well, Wait...

An inventor named Harold Brown, however, conducted several grisly prototype experiments under the auspices of Thomas Edison, and helped construct the chair used in the first execution.

In 1888, Brown wrote an editorial to the New York Post, describing the "death of a boy who touched a straggling telegraph wire running on AC current." The state was looking for a humane replacement for hanging, a method that had resulted in some gruesome episodes of strangulation and/or decapitation. Subsequently, Brown was hired by Edison to help create the electric chair.

The history of "old sparky" is fraught with questionable science, capitalist backstabbing, and flagrant animal abuse. In a canny ploy to blackball his AC competitor Westinghouse, Edison (a DC man) encouraged the use of AC electrical current in electrocution. The idea was to portray AC as incredibly dangerous; he and Brown sacrificed dozens of hapless animals, including a circus elephant, in a brutal smear campaign. It worked.

One that my dad and I did - he even hand made the capacitor

I do know that Edison purposely pushed the Electric chair to use A/C so that he could market DC as safer.

cmon though...light bulb working off the ground...i dont know how true that is, but its freakin sweet.

Quoted post[/post]]
cmon though...light bulb working off the ground...i dont know how true that is, but its freakin sweet.

In a flourescent tube, the powder (Phosphorous) is not illuminated by the application of current - it is illuminated by a specific frequency pulsed into the glass tube itself, by the starter and nodes on the end. A Tesla coil produces "All" frequencies all the time, so the illumination of a flourescent tube is achieved without plugging it in.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

In a flourescent tube, the powder (Phosphorous) is not illuminated by the application of current - it is illuminated by a specific frequency pulsed into the glass tube itself, by the starter and nodes on the end. A Tesla coil produces "All" frequencies all the time, so the illumination of a flourescent tube is achieved without plugging it in.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT. Close but no Cuban.

A flourescent tube in itself emits ultraviolet light. The phosphor coating (what makes a tube white) reacts to the UV and gives off the light we all know and love.

What makes a Tesla Coil power a flourescent bulb? Simple. You're energizing it. You're exciting the gases inside the tube, causing them to emit UV light. There's no "all frequencies" magic here. You deal with one frequency of AC current which happens to be extremely high. Ultra high frequency AC is quite fun.

Yes, Edison killed a dog. Had to hit that poor animal three times with large amounts of AC before it finally dropped.

Also, for those of you who want to know more about Tesla's work without any of the bullshit rumors and crap most people and sites throw at you... all you need is this book.

http://www.tfcbooks.com/mall/more/313irw.htm

It is his technical writings, dictations, research work and inventions. Nothing more. Granted you will need a bit of a brain inside your skull to understand all of it. I've had my copy for ages now and it's a great book.

Back