NIN: 1; GWB: 0

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Jun 1 2005, 09:44 AM-->
Originally posted by SolReaver@Jun 1 2005, 03:10 AM
Lantis
@May 31 2005, 10:50 PM
Too bad I listen to japanese music and could care less about washed up american rock bands.

[post=505915]Quoted post[/post]​

you're ignorant
[post=506014]Quoted post[/post]​

Because he doesn't listen to the CRAP that somehow passes for music in this country? Rock is a bunch of punk whiny shit, rap is all about wasting your money on big rims, expensive clothes and Tanqueray. Country... (shudders).

I don't blame him... my music preference left this country a LONG time ago. Mine took the Atlantic, his took the Pacific.

The music here has been on a fast downhill pace for a while. Hell, I even turned away from NIN after the atrocity that was The Fragile.
[post=506068]Quoted post[/post]​

The Fragile was one of the greatest NIN albums ever.

And if you have these stereotypes of what you think rap and rock is, then you're obviously listening to the wrong stuff.

Continue listening to the japanese tracks, just know that NIN> You.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 1 2005, 05:15 PM
Don't even get me started. 80% of american music is pure corporately controlled bullshit. The other 20% (the underground stuff) will never get public airtime anyway.
[post=506336]Quoted post[/post]​

You really don't know too much about music. Some bands are sellouts, I would agree. Not all, just some.

If you say that NIN sold out, you're a jackass.

Not that I necessarily agree with Trent's opinion, its refreshing to see that someone took a stand against the political and corporate machine.

Originally posted by SolReaver+Jun 2 2005, 07:18 AM-->
Battle Pope
@Jun 1 2005, 05:15 PM
Don't even get me started. 80% of american music is pure corporately controlled bullshit. The other 20% (the underground stuff) will never get public airtime anyway.
[post=506336]Quoted post[/post]​

You really don't know too much about music. Some bands are sellouts, I would agree. Not all, just some.

If you say that NIN sold out, you're a jackass.
[post=506549]Quoted post[/post]​

Hell, I hate NIN and I know they (he) hasn't sold out :) Even though he is a pompous prick at least he has stayed fairly true to his ideals. I think a lot of the problems people have with bands like NIN is that they are an underground band, that's not underground.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jun 2 2005, 07:42 AM
Not that I necessarily agree with Trent's opinion, its refreshing to see that someone took a stand against the political and corporate machine.
[post=506562]Quoted post[/post]​

Refreshing? Bands have been stabbing politics in the ass since their inception. Most notably bands like Dead Kennedys in the 80's were in court getting sued/filing suits, so that bands nowadays can do half the things they get away with.

Mainly I just hate that alot of american music just turned into political rants. if I turn on the radio and listen to a few songs, I will no doubtedly hear something bashing the president or praising him. The good thing about japanese music is that they don't have a big political civil war like we do, all the japanese music I listen to is all about love and losing loved ones and the good stuff, not "I HATE THE PRESIDENT, I HAVE A BAND, I HAVE A MILLION BUCKS, NOW BUY MY C.D. OR I WILL MURDER YOU AND BRIBE THE JURY"

besides, american music is so production line.. every band is the same, and if they start something new, 34908590285 bands will come out right after them and do the same thing. plus they don't put effort into it, I will prove it.. see below:

Nine Inch Nails, typical jeans and t-shirt rock band:
NINPIX3.jpg

Psycho Le Cemu, typical elaborately costumed Visual Kei band:
psycholecemu_15.jpg

PLC > NIN

Not that I really value you opinion or anything, but could you please leave the broad sweeping generlizations out when talking about music? America has spawned some of the most original bands ever. Japans metal/hardcore scene, hello, directly influenced by 80's american metal.

Below are some pics of "unoriginal" american bands, I can post a million more if you want.

3.JPG

2001.11.23.kiss.jpg

pic_9.jpg

cultclub_06.jpg

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 2 2005, 02:45 AM
Not that I really value you opinion or anything, but could you please leave the broad sweeping generlizations out when talking about music? America has spawned some of the most original bands ever. Japans metal/hardcore scene, hello, directly influenced by 80's american metal.

Below are some pics of "unoriginal" american bands, I can post a million more if you want.

3.JPG

2001.11.23.kiss.jpg

pic_9.jpg

cultclub_06.jpg

[post=506572]Quoted post[/post]​

I was speaking more of the modern music.. kiss is classic rock.. and I wouldn't know, I don't listen to japanese metal or hardcore.. i listen to visual kei and j-pop

Originally posted by Lantis+Jun 2 2005, 02:47 AM-->
@Jun 2 2005, 02:45 AM

3.JPG

2001.11.23.kiss.jpg

pic_9.jpg

cultclub_06.jpg

[post=506572]Quoted post[/post]​

I was speaking more of the modern music.. kiss is classic rock.. and I wouldn't know, I don't listen to japanese metal or hardcore.. i listen to visual kei and j-pop
[post=506574]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh come on man. Youre gonna say that your weird fucking japanese band is great cause they wear some retarded ass costume?? And that rock bands suck because *gasp* they wear clothes that most americans wear? :bash:

1. Weezer started the whole emo "geek is cool" clothing trend. Shut the fuck up.

2. Ever seen what maynard from tool wears on stage? Shut the fuck up

Jesus I could go on forever....

I did not say that was why they are cool, I just said they are different. And granted some american bands are different too, but alot of them aren't and it's kind of boring.

they are cool because they aren't singing about politics and stupid stuff.

Originally posted by Lantis@Jun 2 2005, 02:28 AM
Mainly I just hate that alot of american music just turned into political rants. if I turn on the radio and listen to a few songs, I will no doubtedly hear something bashing the president or praising him. The good thing about japanese music is that they don't have a big political civil war like we do, all the japanese music I listen to is all about love and losing loved ones and the good stuff, not "I HATE THE PRESIDENT, I HAVE A BAND, I HAVE A MILLION BUCKS, NOW BUY MY C.D. OR I WILL MURDER YOU AND BRIBE THE JURY"

besides, american music is so production line.. every band is the same, and if they start something new, 34908590285 bands will come out right after them and do the same thing. plus they don't put effort into it, I will prove it.. see below:

[post=506570]Quoted post[/post]​

There are about 3 bands that have been strictly politically fueled.

It really does seem like you are talking out of your ass, and have not heard ANY rock/metal within the last decade. Drop your stereotypes. If you love japan so much, move there, we don't need you here in america :)

Again, I think that you either are deaf, or really have not listened to any music aside from japanese stuff.

The last 15 years for rock music have been amazing. Some of the most inventive and unique bands have formed. Saying that every band is the same, is probably one of the dumbest things of all time.

NIN- Trent started a genre by himself.
Nirvana- The posterchild for grunge rock.
Soundgarden- Proved that rock can be mainstream without selling out
Tool- enough said.
RATM- show me one band that is similar in any aspect
Weezer- Started out as geek rock, still is producing geek rock, songs get airtime cause they are a radio friendly band.
311/Sublime- most people never heard of reggae/ska music till these bands emerged
Beck- Enough said

And thats just talking about popular rock...there are tons of amazing indie bands out there

If you're going to argue with me, at least do so in a reasonable manner. Posting pics of some japanese fuckers in nightgowns isn't gonna work.

geez.. just don't read.. I did say that any band that comes along with an orignal concept is quickly followed by a ton of other bands.. you even quoted it.. but didn't bother to read.

so if none of you are going to read what I say before yelling at me. don't bother reading my posts at all, cause obviously you aren't intelligent enough to read a whole sentence before opening your mouths to talk trash.

and I have listen to lots of music from america in the last 15 years. but very few things have impressed me. maybe because all these "new genres" are just bands using their synthesizer more creatively than the last band..

Originally posted by Lantis@Jun 2 2005, 02:28 AM
...bands will come out right after them and do the same thing. plus they don't put effort into it, I will prove it.. see below:

-pics-

PLC > NIN
[post=506570]Quoted post[/post]​

I can't get over this, please rephrase how they don't put any effort into their music by the clothes they wear? Where am the crack?

and I have listen to lots of music from america in the last 15 years. but very few things have impressed me. maybe because all these "new genres" are just bands using their synthesizer more creatively than the last band..

None of the bands I listed above use a synth profusely. Why don't you cite examples instead of being retarded and making up shit?

geez.. just don't read.. I did say that any band that comes along with an orignal concept is quickly followed by a ton of other bands.. you even quoted it.. but didn't bother to read.

Explain how this makes any difference at all, regarding anything. We both know im not talking about bands that are blantant rip offs of other groups. Cite examples so I have an idea of what the fuck you're trying to prove here.

so if none of you are going to read what I say before yelling at me. don't bother reading my posts at all, cause obviously you aren't intelligent enough to read a whole sentence before opening your mouths to talk trash.

Im more intelligent than you will ever be, get over it.

Originally posted by SolReaver@Jun 2 2005, 09:03 AM

NIN- Trent started a genre by himself.
Nirvana- The posterchild for grunge rock.
Soundgarden- Proved that rock can be mainstream without selling out
Tool- enough said.
RATM- show me one band that is similar in any aspect
Weezer- Started out as geek rock, still is producing geek rock, songs get airtime cause they are a radio friendly band.
311/Sublime- most people never heard of reggae/ska music till these bands emerged
Beck- Enough said

And thats just talking about popular rock...there are tons of amazing indie bands out there

If you're going to argue with me, at least do so in a reasonable manner. Posting pics of some japanese fuckers in nightgowns isn't gonna work.
[post=506580]Quoted post[/post]​

1) NIN didn't start a genre, he had a big hand in it becomiong more mainstrean, but there were plenty of bands coming out at the same time, and before that were instrumental in the industrial/goth world.

2) Saying Nirvana is posterchild of grunge I guess is ok, but they were behind the curve. Subpop had a ton of great bands that didn't buy the corporate sell out that introduced grunge to the mainstream public. Greenriver, TAD, Blood Circus, Sound Garden, Mudhoney.

3) There are those, I being one that would say Soundgarden sold out. They did change their musical style a lot, now whether it was to sell records, or because thats the way they went artistically, well that something that I don't know. And I guess selling out is opinion really anyway.

4) Tool, I just don't care for, they never really sounded like anything special to me, but then again, I was deep into underground hardcore when they came out, and their whole approach was weak to say the least compared to a lot of stuff I listen too. I guess to average music listener they were pretty hardline though.

5) Personally I think the only good thing about RATM was that they were a mainstream band that got an underground message out where it normally wouldn't be. Other than that I think they suck.

6) It's a sad day when either of those bands is considered anything close to reggae or ska.

7) Haha Beck is funny.

Well since no one cares but to trash me, I will leave you to think your bands are all great and stuff. even though they aren't anything special outside of your little minds. I know the bands aren't anything great, and they know it too, but at least I don't go around claiming them to be gods of music because they came out with a c.d.

and if you want to know.. I listened to nine inch nails new song.. and it sounds like a crappy rip off of something rammstein would do.

1) NIN didn't start a genre, he had a big hand in it becomiong more mainstrean, but there were plenty of bands coming out at the same time, and before that were instrumental in the industrial/goth world.

I can agree with that to an extent, Industrial rock started to follow in NIN's footsteps after about 89-90 though.

2) Saying Nirvana is posterchild of grunge I guess is ok, but they were behind the curve. Subpop had a ton of great bands that didn't buy the corporate sell out that introduced grunge to the mainstream public. Greenriver, TAD, Blood Circus, Sound Garden, Mudhoney.

Disagreed, I think nirvana was much more talented than other similar bands, hence getting signed. Matter of opinion i guess

3) There are those, I being one that would say Soundgarden sold out. They did change their musical style a lot, now whether it was to sell records, or because thats the way they went artistically, well that something that I don't know. And I guess selling out is opinion really anyway.

It does seem like their sound changed a lot after getting on a different label, but like you said who knows if it was artistically. Im liking it either way

4) Tool, I just don't care for, they never really sounded like anything special to me, but then again, I was deep into underground hardcore when they came out, and their whole approach was weak to say the least compared to a lot of stuff I listen too. I guess to average music listener they were pretty hardline though.

Tool walks that fine line between non radio friendly metal and rock. To say its a weak approach to hardcore is correct, to say its weak to rock, is not accurate at all. Personally they are one of my favorite bands, but hey, thats just me.

5) Personally I think the only good thing about RATM was that they were a mainstream band that got an underground message out where it normally wouldn't be. Other than that I think they suck.

I think they are an amazing band, that got their message across through music.

6) It's a sad day when either of those bands is considered anything close to reggae or ska.

Im calling it ska influnced rock. Much more fun to listen to than typical stuff\

7) Haha Beck is funny.

Say what you will about beck, but nobody can doubt the unusual writing style he has....

How did I forget my favorite band of all time: Radiohead

Originally posted by Lantis@Jun 2 2005, 09:26 AM
Well since no one cares but to trash me, I will leave you to think your bands are all great and stuff. even though they aren't anything special outside of your little minds. I know the bands aren't anything great, and they know it too, but at least I don't go around claiming them to be gods of music because they came out with a c.d.

and if you want to know.. I listened to nine inch nails new song.. and it sounds like a crappy rip off of something rammstein would do.
[post=506585]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea ok, and I am sure Psycho Le Cemu is a revolution of musical talent. Fact is, you can't argue about music because it all speaks to different people different ways. You can get all flustered other don't share your opinions, but that's just what they are, opinions, so don't let it bother you.

You shot yourself in teh foot saying that XXXX band sucks because of this reason. But you just can't do that with music.

Originally posted by Lantis@Jun 2 2005, 03:26 AM

[post=506585]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll throw up on your soul.

Comparing NIN to rammstein deserves the death penalty.

I know the bands aren't anything great, and they know it too, but at least I don't go around claiming them to be gods of music because they came out with a c.d.

Lay off the crack pipe, bud.

edit; after reading a quick description of your beloved AZN band, I am at a loss for words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho_le_Cemu

Disagreed, I think nirvana was much more talented than other similar bands, hence getting signed. Matter of opinion i guess

More talented? No, not by a long shot. The most talented musician in the band was David Grohl. Mr. Cobain did have a pension for writing catchy songs, and that's what made them marketable, not nescessarily talented, and that's why they got signed over most of the other label mates. I mean really, you can play most Nirvana riffs with one finger, doped on herion, while getting blown by a hooker. If you listen to Monkeywrench (most from the guys from Mudhoney), or almost any other grunge band you'll here a lot more talent.

[Industrial rock started to follow in NIN's footsteps after about 89-90 though.

Well, anything that "made it" so to speak.

Im calling it ska influnced rock. Much more fun to listen to than typical stuff\

Influenced is a better description :)

I never said anything bad about Beck, I just don't see the genius.

Actually that wikipedia thing is wrong.. Seek is usually half naked and covered in body paint. And Aya has blonde hair, but he wears a pink wig.

Back