Nitrous Kit for B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CarAudiophile

I have a 89 Hatch with a JDM B16.. I am getting Ready to order a Nitrous Kit for it.
Which Brand does everyone Reccomend.. My motor internals are bone stock. I just have the Basic Upgrades including Clutch, I/H/E..

I can get a good deal on Zex, NOS, and Nitrous Express..

I want to still maintain the reliability of the car and don't want to go to crazy with it. But I still need the extra power.

Questions?..

Dry or Wet?.

Size Jets?.

55 or 75?..

Which Brand. NOS, Nitrous Express, Zex?.

I want just the basic Kits. I know Zex makes the computer controlled setups and all that but I don't want to go spending 2G on a Nitrous Kit. So what does everyone reccomend on here for a Good Kit.

Thanks for the help.

From my past experience the Nitrous Express EFI kit is pretty good. It acts as a wet system sending both fuel and Nitrous in at the same time so your engine is not running to lean. I think recently Zex has come out with a similar setup but I dont know how good or how much it is. I paid about $900 for mine but that included additional features. If you are looking for reliability with the setup you are running you run the wet kit, a 55 shot will probably be safe, but I also recommend making sure that your fuel system is powerfull enough to get the extra fuel to your motor to prevent detonation. If your getting enough fuel to the motor you might even be able to run a 75 shot but, that will eventually wear a stock engine depending on how it is used. I have a lightly used NX kit for sale to if your interested.

I have a Vafc to help to tune the Fuel plus a DSM Fuel Pump Installed.. If need be I can upgrade to some Larger injectors because I know of a set of 450's for real cheap. (Free) that I could get.. I just know she will be a beast to try to tame with the 450's in it with just the Vafc in it.. But for fuel delivery I still have the stock Injectors but I do have a AEM Fuel Rail, AEM Fuel Pressure Reg also ready to put in so Fuel Delivery shouldn't be a problem...

Any other help is appreciated.. I want to get this ordered today so I am trying to find out..

How often do you plan on using the Nitrous and what features are you planning on getting?

I am not looking at using alot.. I mostly will be running 55 on the street and pop in the 75 at the Track.. What features do you guys reccomend.. Some on Honda-Tech say that the Purge kit is not worth it.. Really I just want to get a little more oomph before going to the track in 2 weeks.. But I can add on alot of options if need be later down the road.

wet kits are safer; keeps the car from running lean under boost. ive seen alot of people run either kits without problems so i guess it doesnt batter which kit you choose; after all they are all injecting nitrous oxide into your engine.

NOS has this kit that looks nice; its the NOSzle direct port system; instead of drilling holes in your intake runners, it goes where the fuel injector goes. cost about 1g though.

I am looking at tapping the bottom of the Manifold. And hifing all the lines so if I do have to pop my hood you can't see anything. I like to be a little sneaky but I plan on runing all the lines through the factory covers and hiding everything.. And then cover the Bottle in the rear hatch so noone can see it.

But Wet I can tap into the Manifold Correct?.. And Dry into the Intake.. Or can I put either or in the Manifold.. But I don't want to tap the intake.

My system was tapped into the intake, I not sure about which systems can be tapped where. But as far as accessories the main one to get, to really get the most HP outta your kit wiht is the bottle warmer and a pressure/temp gauge. The one thing that I regreted not getting was the auto bottle opener. My bottle was mounted in the trunk so anytime I wanted to run it I had to stop and get out of the car to open the bottle, instead of just being able to hit a switch and open it. Although this will not be a problem if you plan on mounting the bottle within your reach.

I may be putting the Bottle in the Back seat so that may not be a problem.. Because if people want me to pop the Hood they won't see anything and if they look into the hatch and you wouldn't see anything then buried into the hatch..

But I can get the Nitrous Express EFI kit for under 500.00 brand new from one of my Distributors.. I think I am just going to get the basic kit right now and build off of it.. But it will come with 35-55-75 Jets and I think I am going to be running the 35 right now for fun until I get used to driving it and working it.

Spark Plugs.. I have Denso Iridiums installed right now.. I really don't want to swap these guys out beings I just paid a small fortune for them.. Will I be ok running them right now or am I going to be needing to swapping these plugs out.

I just got the wet zex kit about a month ago. I am very pleased with the performance. The kit came with 50/60/75 jets. They recommend tapping the intake pipe before the throttle body. I don't think you want to tap the manifold with a wet kit unless you are using a direct port kit. I paid $550 for the kit.

The purge is mostly for show/intimidation purposes. The technical funcionality for it is to relieve any atmospheric gases trapped in the line when you connect/disconnect your feed line from the bottle to the solenoid.

The thing with your plugs is that you want to gap them slightly closer, and you may want to pick a plug that runs 1 range cooler.

ok this is info from my friend todd that is a huge nitrous guy. mid 8's drag car <mercury capri> with a 250 progressive system. he said to me "you can safely take the amount of power at the crank, and times it by 50% to figure out how much nitrous to run. Remember good tuning is very important regardless."

and when i asked what was better wet/dry, he told me "if you are going fogger/direct port, go with a wet system. If you plan on runnin nitrous that is tapped into the intake pipe before the TB, run a dry kit." he told me this way you dont have to worry about a nitrous backfire <wet kit before the TB> as badly, or running to lean <dry kit in front of TB>

hope this helps. as far as how much you can run, you need to keep the pressures in each cylinder consistant, if a cylinder is running hot, add fuel, if its running cold, reduce fuel.

I guess if need be I can tap into it on the bottom on the intake and noone will see it. I plan on looming all the wires and hiding all the solenoids. But I am leaning towards the Nitrous Express Kit though after talking to a few people and my Distributor.

I plan on even before firing up the Nitrous to hit the Dyno with it and make sure I have enough fuel and she is running fine with it before testing it out on the Street. Dyno time is alot cheaper than a Scarred block.

Back