No 4th gear after going to the track????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gocivicls

It will not go into fourth gear at all! Is it the syncro's?

Is it fixable? Or will it cost too much and it is just cheaper to get new tranny?

99 Gsr Tranny and it is my freinds. I think he missed a gear, oops! :wacko:

umm it would be cheaper to get a new 1, but if u dont really know what ur doing under there, id think ur best bet would be to buy a new tranny. either look for a gsr or b16 tranny, they will both do the same job, just whatever u can find a better price on.

Myself I think I could do it. I just want answers on the problem.

It will not go in 4th at all, so can you rebuild it or not. If so do you just buy the 4th gear, syncro's or both?

Originally posted by asmallsol@Sep 13 2003, 11:01 PM
check linkages, check/change fluid. What trans is it?

GSR trans

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Sep 13 2003, 12:35 PM
umm it would be cheaper to get a new 1, but if u dont really know what ur doing under there, id think ur best bet would be to buy a new tranny. either look for a gsr or b16 tranny, they will both do the same job, just whatever u can find a better price on.

Nope, sorry... if it's one of the synchro sets / gearsets, it's still cheaper to repair it if you do the labor yourself. I don't think you'd be able to buy a GSR transmission for under $300.

Calesta, With out tearing it down to avoid down time on a dailey driver how can we tell if it is the gearsets or synchro's?

I guess if we get both gearsets and synchro's for 4th gear we could take back one or the other if not used.

I have never broke into a transmission, but I feel that I am very mech. inclined and I have been in, and rebuilt B series motors. Do you feel that I should attempt this project or is there a risk to make it worse?

There's no good way to tell. Try your shift linkages like everyone said to make sure everything is ok on the outside of the transmission, and if you feel up to it- then drop it out and look inside.

If you're confident with tearing apart engines and rebuilding them, then you should have no problem rebuilding your transmission. Just make sure you know where everything is supposed to be when it goes back together, and replace only what you need to.

If you don't want any downtime... the fastest way to take care of it is to buy another known good transmission, then swap yours out and be done with it. I wouldn't want to order transmission parts without seeing what's going on inside first, because it could be any number of things causing your 4th gear not to engage... and transmission parts aren't usually something that you can just go to the dealer and get over the counter the same day.

Back