no cash, want go power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

emomelodic

word up, emo here.
i have a 94 civic ex with around 170,000 miles... yeah

so i want some go power and people are saying just turbo the engine i have. ok
what about getting a gsr swap and doing that turbo'd
what would you guys reccomend? money is an issue, and im not looking for the fastest car out there. just a little more go power than your normal civic/integra.

oh and, what else do i need besides the turbo kit and intercooler.

i have no idea how to tuen a turbo. nor do i know the electronics behind it... so any help is great.
thanks guys

I have to... :emofo:

More realistically... for a little extra oomph you can always port match the intake manifold gasket... throttle body gasket. Do you have a CAI (cold air intake), header or exhaust by any chance? You can turbo the GSR that would be cool... but the engine is expensive and so is the mount kit and links... keep SEARCHING N00B

yeah right now im running the 94 ex motor, with an aem cold air intake, dc sport headers, downpipe, obx high flow cat, and n1 cat back exhaust.

im thinking i could turbo it, then later down the road just use the turbo on a gsr engine with small modification...
only i dont know where to begin on turboing this ex engine. nor do i want to pay over 1500$ hehe.
any suggestions on what kit, what intercooler, and what else i need to tune this piece?

and has anyone used these http://www.tornactive.com/pd_golden_eagle_full.cfm
they say you dont need to drill the oil lines for ls vtec with these... is this a crock or no?

Bolt ons to a stock engine are worthless, IMO.

www.homemadeturbo.com is the site for you... but make a point of halfway educating yourself first - go buy Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and read it, you'll save yourself and everybody you would otherwise ask a lot of beginner questions a lot of time.

i think otherwise. when i bolted on my intake, header and exaust and switched them around with stock stuff i definetly felt a power difference specialy with my header from dc to stock

Originally posted by highperboi@Dec 9 2003, 12:42 AM
i think otherwise. when i bolted on my intake, header and exaust and switched them around with stock stuff i definetly felt a power difference specialy with my header from dc to stock

$1000 later, you FELT something...

custom turbo kit would be the best for you, just because you can buy peice by peice like me :)

well i didnt buy any of it but yeah if i had that is a lot of money but even if i got other stuff like cams i would still need like a intake to maxmize the use of them.

what im trying to say is that either way you will end up getting bolt ons.

oh yeah plus when you first start out moding your car bolt ons are so much easier to instal then internals.

when or if u do go turbo you can defenitly say by to that manifold, the CAI might b able to be used. Thats y I havent bought any bolts ons for my swap..I made an intake and bought a cat and muffler (car already had 2 1/4" piping). Plan on spending at least 8 hundred for a custom turbo kit or 1200+ for a preassembled kit.

1200 for a kit? you wish. try at least 2800 for anything reasonble with an intercooler (ie, forget the greddy kit)

again, if you're broke, don't boost. it just keeps adding up and up and up, and 10 grand later, you go, oh, wow.... i spent an assloae of money i didn't have. tmie to sell the car

1200 for a kit? you wish. try at least 2800 for anything reasonble with an intercooler (ie, forget the greddy kit)

That's why im not buying a kit, my DIY skillz owns everyone who buys a kit. If your trying to run 10s then do it pissedoffs way, if your trying to just have some of that extra domestic passing power do a custom junkyard turbo kit.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Dec 9 2003, 12:43 AM-->
highperboi
@Dec 9 2003, 12:42 AM

$1000 later, you FELT something...

Exactly. Feeling something isn't pulling LS1's on the highway.

You can be turbo, with a nice IC, for under a grand if you can do some of your own work.

I'm also a big fan of the Greddy kit for the SOHCs, the quality is nice, you can pick them up very cheaply, and the peak power output is more than the stock bottom end can handle realistically. My friend is running 10 psi/14 psi on a stock Z6, it feels very nice.

well also think that you have 170000 miles on your engine , boost might not be the best thing untill you rebuild

Back