No spark after first gen b16a swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondaman4u

Hello all, well I have a 88 hatch civic standard with DPI, finished the swap and the wiring conversion (to the best of my knowledge) everything is connected, motor cranks but no spark?! check all the grounds, one from the wiring harness which is connected to one of the bolts on the thermostat, and the other from the valve cover. Could something on my wiring screw it up? tried another b16a first gen distributor that I know for a fact works and still no spark. Please if anyone has any idea what may cause this (I also checked all my fuses) I was told if you mess up the crank sensor connector it my cuase this type of problem, I wasn't sure on that cause I thought either way it should spark. Any help is appreciated.

Also, could I used the wire harness from an 88-91 Si to make it easier for the DPI to MPFI conversion?

from what you said, it sounds like you need to check your wiring again...maybe something is just loose, spliced into the wrong wire, wrong pin on the ecu, ect. it's going to be the hardest thing to find but the easiest to fix

did you add the CYP sensor wires? thats the blue/green and blue/yellow wires on the distro that the stock distro did not have?

Is your tranny grounded?, did you check the timing?

yeah you can use the Si harness....that is what i did in my rex.....i switched from dx to si...pain in the ass but it gets the job done
:D

Make sure u check and double check your timing. Usually if its off by more than 14 degrees it can cause this problem. Also, make sure that you dont have any bare or stripped wires touching the distributor housing or areas around the head. Checking your wiring harness connector for the distributor might also yield a solution to your problem. Hope this helps in some way ;)

I just completed my swap and got the car running tonite but I had the very same problem earlier today. I swapped a D16Z6 into a DX hatch and it was a wiring nightmare. I missed the ignitor wire (one of the 2 white ones) on the distributor and forgot to hook it up correctly. You can double check to make sure you have voltage on the black/yellow wire on the 2 wire plug (I did) for the distributor. With the engine running, I have 4 error codes to work through and one is an ignitor code. At least it runs....:)

Try turning the ignition on (but don't turn it over) check for any major error codes on the ECU. This may tell you what is wrong. I had my Crank Angle sensor disconnect on me and nothing would work. The ECU doesn't lie.

Originally posted by Raggedyman@Jun 26 2003, 10:40 PM
I just completed my swap and got the car running tonite but I had the very same problem earlier today. I swapped a D16Z6 into a DX hatch and it was a wiring nightmare. I missed the ignitor wire (one of the 2 white ones) on the distributor and forgot to hook it up correctly. You can double check to make sure you have voltage on the black/yellow wire on the 2 wire plug (I did) for the distributor. With the engine running, I have 4 error codes to work through and one is an ignitor code. At least it runs....:)

yea, there is two plain white wires on the distro and you have to guess at which one goes to which... i put a b16a in my dx hatch and i mixed them up the first time... there was no spark... and then i switched them and voila! she came alive!!

also there a ground wire that goes to your fuse box,along with a positive wire from your battery,check your grounds and maybe fuses

Back