no v-tec when motor is cold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fivestar

When I start my car in the morning or after it been sitting all day and is cold the v-tec doesn't work. As soon as the motor starts warms up up can here that the v-tec starts to kick in. After the motor is at normal operating temp it works fine.
Any Ideas? Let me know

Not quite...

The ECU uses several parameters to determine when to engage VTEC. Engine speed, vehicle speed, coolant temp, and oil pressure. Engine speed depends on the engine, but vehicle speed is 20 MPH, coolant temp is 160°, and oil pressure is 40 PSI.

When the engine is cold, you shouldn't rev it above 3000 RPM. Or, you can and eventually blow your motor. It's your call.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@ Feb 11 2004, 02:54 PM
When the engine is cold, you shouldn't rev it above 3000 RPM. Or, you can and eventually blow your motor. It's your call.

:withstupid: that really is the best advice for ANY engine...

when it's cold why do you need to rev your engine all the way out anyway?

i thought it was cuz the solenoid was frozen....

like sometimes door popper solenoids freeze up when its cold, and you gotta let 'em thaw 'fore you can pop your door

:shrug2:

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Feb 11 2004, 02:54 PM
The ECU uses several parameters to determine when to engage VTEC. Engine speed, vehicle speed, coolant temp, and oil pressure. Engine speed depends on the engine, but vehicle speed is 20 MPH, coolant temp is 160°, and oil pressure is 40 PSI.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

its a safety feature for dumbasses like you who want to beat the ever living piss out of their cars :)

yeah your solenoid is frozen, next time you start your car and its cold, just get in and rev it to 8k for about 5 mins. That should fix your vtec issues. :ph34r:

no i'm not beating on the car when it's cold for your info dumbass J/k. I normally shift just as it hits v-tec. but i just noticed it didn't hit v-tec at all when it was cold thats all.

fuck all the mombo jumbo,,,if your motor is cold don't fuck with it.

let the damn thing get up to "STANDARD OPERATING TEMPERATURE" then get on it.

Okay heres what happened. Normally i do let it warm up and thats why i never noticed before. but last week i was late for work, so i got in my car and left right away. thats when i noticed that the v-tec wasn't working until it warmed up. so after work i did the same thing. Thats when i posted my question cause i was just wondering why. For the people that answered my question, I thank.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Feb 11 2004, 01:08 PM-->
Loco Honkey
@ Feb 11 2004, 02:54 PM

:withstupid: that really is the best advice for ANY engine...

when it's cold why do you need to rev your engine all the way out anyway?

cuz he was late for work, remember?

with tha mad powaz of VTEC engaging he will arrive at work in no time, y0!

I tried revving my cold d15 to 6k for like 5 min. And I suddenly got vtech y0! I can speed dial and three-way while driving 35mph. ;)

Originally posted by driverunknown@Feb 18 2004, 12:33 AM
I tried revving my cold d15 to 6k for like 5 min. And I suddenly got vtech y0! I can speed dial and three-way while driving 35mph. ;)

:newbie:

Back