no vtec, and motor won't rev over 6800rpm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicious

Buck Futter
VIP
I swapped a b16 into an 89 DX hatch, wired MPFI, plus everything for vtec. Tested wiring at plugs and at ECU with a multimeter, everything is wired up right. The car doesn't throw any CEL's, but vtec won't kick in and the motor won't rev over about 6800rpm. About a week ago, I disconnected the vtec wire at the ECU, ran 12v from the fuse block to a switch, then from the switch to the vtec wire. Vtec worked fine, and I ran a 15.30 with a CEL for the vtec solenoid (with the car still not revving over 6800). The ECU is a PR3-003

Any ideas?

well since 6800 is the DX rev limit it sounds like your ECU doesn't know it's a vtec ECU, or for some other reason thinks it's DX ecu. If it was running in limp mode the rev limit would be much lower than 6800.

All the pr3s are b16 ECUs, so I don't even know how it knows about 6800 RPM??? Unless it does that when VTEC is disabled, but I have no clue. Since vtec isn't kicking on, which the ECU should be doing, are you sure it's not a DX ECU??

6800 rev limit, no vtec = DX??

its a pr3...vtec ecu...

and it works now. dunno why. it just up and started working.

fuckin' honda.

Back