No wonder the asians are good at math....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I can multiply pretty fast the way we are taught to do it here in the States. I wonder how fast, that method above, actually is... That is pretty cool though.

"How do the japanese multiply" It's a high percentage of hookers, awesome 12" pompadour haircuts, and Sake.

Jeeze, that was easy.

There are a ton of shortcuts to math, they only amaze most people because they don't understand the relational theory of numbers. We're taught to do math, not to understand it.

For instance, if you take any 2 digit number, the sum of the digits being such as to be less than ten, and multiply it by eleven, the product will be the original number with the sum of those two numbers in the middle.

24X11=264, 81X11= 891, etc.

The Japanese method is only fascinating until you understand the theory. In the same manner that science only looks like magic until you understand it.

If you want to really understand algebra, stop using numbers altogether. If you substitute shapes (and this will initially make you want to kill someone) once you pick it up the relationships will jump off the page at you.

I've been in a class where a professor with a doctorate referred to science as magic.

Of course, he was speaking about quantum mechanics. :ph34r:

I never learned like that... pretty cool though. I just do it in my head.

The issue with all schooling. We are never taught to understand a damn thing. Teach to the test is the motto!

Back