Noise from the front wheel question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I was wondering if anyone can help me determine what might be the cause of a noise coming from what I believe is my left front wheel. The best way to describe the noise is when I hit the brakes it sounds like the caliper or pad is hitting the disc. It is sort of a grabbing or popping sound. It kinda sounds like the pad is too short and when the brakes grab the pad hits the little shelf that holds the clip. I know that is not what is happening I just think it is a good way to describe the noise. It mainly makes the sound when I brake, but sometimes it makes it when I accelerate as well. I checked all the bolts around the area to see if anything was loose (susp. and brakes) and everything seems good.

How old are the pads and rotors?

I would also check the pad for any uneven wear. May help you figure out what's wrong.

I dont know how old the rotors are...they came with the car when I bought it 4 years ago. The pads are less then a year. I will check it out tomorrow. I have noticed that the rotors have grooves in other words they are not smooth, I dont know if they are supposed to wear smoothly or not.

Replace the rotors and pads. Rotors are most definitely bad. Pads are probably bad because they have been wearing on bad rotors for a year. Replace the rear sets while you're at it. I doubt they are all that good.

All the bolts and nuts are on tight. The only thing I noticed was when you pull on the pass. side ties rod there is a tiny bit of movement. It was more noticeable when I had the suspension loaded so I could change the end link bushings. I jacked up the suspension, change the bushungs, then pulled on the tie rod.

I still cant figure out what the problem is. Today I pulled on the wheel (towards me at the top) and noticed that the wheel moves outward. Would the ball the joints on the upper control arm allow the wheel to do that? The drivers side has more play in it then the pass. I checked the crown bolts when I changed the rotors and they are tight.

when you move the wheel out is the upper ball joint moving? If so you need new upper arms

yeah the wheel actually pulls towards me a little bit (maybe an 1/8th of an inch on the driver side, less on the pass side).

I think its time for some new upper arms. I dont think you can just replace the upper ball joints, i know on my 91 i had to replace the arms.

I have skunk2 arms and they sell replacement ball joints, so when I get some money next week I will replace those. Hopefully that will fix my problem.

Could also be bad wheel bearings. Jack the car up and wiggle the tire back and forth, like you are turning it. If it has play there too, there is a good chance the bearings are shot.

If it's a wheel bearing it would make a humming/whining noise above 10-25mph.. (from past experience) i'd say it's your ball joints.

There is definitely no whinning or humming. The only time you hear any noise is when braking, sometimes at the beginning of acceleration, and during turns when bumpy.

Yeah sounds like ball-joints, especially if it makes noise when braking, and going over bumps..

probably the bushings in your upper comtrol arms, maybe the balljoint too, but i would take a close look at your wheel bearing and see if there is play

Back