Non-adjustable shock/strut choices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
It's that time to start saving up for a lowering kit. I've pretty much decided on Neuspeed Sport springs for $150. And since I'll have everything all pulled apart, I want to get all the work done at once.
I'm looking at different non-adjustable struts in the $200-$250 price range.
I've used KYB GR-2's and they rode fine, but they weren't "like, whoa" quality. Just smooth riding w/o much added performance.
I've also seen Tokico HP's and Koni's. What should I go for? Any suggestions from people who've rode on different setups?
I'll be doing a little bit of auto-x racing, but mostly this will be a daily driver setup. I won't have money to go KYB AGX or Tokico Illumina because I already don't have money to spend on any suspension stuff. The Civic just looks horrible with wheels at stock height so I'm forced to go with a semi-decent lowering w/o breaking the bank.
Right now I can keep everything under $400 installed if I go Neuspeed/KYB GR-2 setup (1.7" drop). I can't afford anything more.

My friend has the HPs on his Civi, pretty nice ride, I wasn't expecting it to be as smoothe as it was.

Neuspeed/GR-2 would be good, although you can probably get AGXs for $300.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 14 2004, 10:08 AM
Neuspeed/GR-2 would be good, although you can probably get AGXs for $300.

link me to $300 and i'll go for it. no where have i seen them new for under $400 shipped. i really don't want to spend more than $200. i'll probably go with the gr-2s again.

Hmm. I guess they don't have them that cheap right now. :( You might check eBay- they're always up there for not too much cash. The cheapest store price I can find right now for a 98 Civic EX is about $350-370 a set.

i got KYB non adj. on my crx, got them off ebay brand new for 150 , all for of them, then i got cheap ebay coilovers (yeah i know) they were like 100, but my car rides really good

did a little research after my bid. the only place i found those eibach model numbers were on one post on honda-acura.net. a kid was complaining that he couldn't find answers to what the exact application for that spring model was. wasn't even sure they were for his car. when he installed them, his wheels were tucked. that's going way beyond what i want. i tried emailing the guy but i got no response by tonight. so with 13 hours left, i retracted my bid (hate to do that if possible), but i can't retract a bid within the last 12 hours of the auction.
better say than sorry. i'd rather chance ruining my ebay account than ruin $200 on the wrong springs and maybe blown struts. i want to buy new, and buy exactly what i want.

Back