Non VTech 95 honda accord EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Benilson09

I am in need of some help. My first Honda is a 95 Accord EX 2.2L 4Cyl. 4 door w/ automatic transmission. The car has 350K +miles on it and I am having the motor swapped. The motor in my car at the moment is (I'm assuming F22b1) Vtec. The motor that was ordered is non vtec. The guy I bought the motor from is swearing up and down that is the right motor for the car. Is this correct?? I checked the list of engines on the forum b4 posting and the only one's I saw were vtec. I am very confused now, anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
attachment.php

that is all

Attachments

• gallery_28915_470_21472.jpg
    gallery_28915_470_21472.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 11,105
that makes me wonder if the business where I bought the motor even knows what they are doing. I assumed they would, guess I was wrong. The motor says "16 valve", and he told me that some of the 95 accord ex's came w/o VTEC motors and that was why he sold me that one. Is this completely wrong??

EX should be VTEC. The motor will work, but you'll have the wrong ECU. You're better off to get the F22B1. The F22B2 will bolt up, but why drop horsepower, and deal with hassle too? It's not an expensive motor.

Just my .02, but it doesnt sound like that guy your buying from really knows what he is talking about. I would find someone else to get the motor from, and just get the F22B1, it'll be more of a hassle to get the F22B2 to run and your losing hp.

If you really want to make sure that you have the F22B1, go look to the left of the header and to the right of the tranny on the block. There is a square portion facing straight at you that has the engine code on it. It might be dirty but you should see it easily.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I really appreciate the help. The guy who sold me the motor was obviously wrong, I have been w/o a car for close to 2 months now so it is really starting to cost me money. The motor is indeed an F22B2, I really don't have much of a choice but to go ahead and finish having it put in. The guy will not take the motor back, even though he screwed up. That just leaves 2 final questions. does the computer need to be changed? And Lastly, there is a bracket to the side of the distributor that is empty and looks as though something else is bolted to it. Any ideas as to what that is? I gave 500 for the car and for the motor/labor/additional parts about 475. So it hasn't been a total loss yet. It just sucks having to rent or borrow friends cars. Again, thanks a ton for the info, I have a lot to learn.

Back