noobish distributor question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zakats

redpepperracing.com
before I go into depth of my plans, my unusual question is as follows:
Can the igniter and coil work independently of the ECU? I not talking about advancement controlling but just the ignition itself. Any hints on how to go about this?

this might be a very dumb question and I get the feeling it is, but I want to check with the gurus because my wiring diagrams have me worried.

also, could anyone provide me with a obd0 or obd1 LS distributer diagram, I've been looking for a LONG time with NO success.

thanks in advance
-zak

For a stock setup, no you cannot run the dizzy without the ecu. If you look at your diagram the ignition signal for the ICM is controlled by the ECU. I think there are some aftermarket kits that will run the ignition without the ECU but I could not give you any specific products. If you do find some please post though I would like to have a dizzy not controlled my the ECU. For the diagram checkout Honda / Acura Manuals - Hondahookup.com this is where is got everything for my BB4. Any other ?'s just ask.

what kind of signal is this? Im going to assume its processed using the TDC sensor (or whatever cam/crank angle sensor it has)
and that I couldn't just have the ICM bypassed...then again I know there has to be some way of doing this if my carburated civic has a ICM and coil operated without an ECU.

Are you ready for this? Lol. Ok your Crank(CYP), Top Dead Center(TDC) and Cam sensor (CMP) are inputs to the ECU. Using the "MAP's" that honda has preprogrammed into the ECU it decides when the spark should happen. The ECU provides a signal I believe Pulse Width Modulated(PWM) to the ICM. The coil is provided a ground through the ICM and when the ECU wants the coil to fire it tells the ICM to cut the ground off. This keeps current going through the ECU at a minimum. To run the dizzy without the ECU you would need some sort of standalone system to tell the coil when to fire. If you take the cap off your dizzy. The button and rotor have about a 20mm range it can fire in for each cylinder this is how the advance and retard is able to be done electronically. Like I said I have never searched for a standalone spark system but MSD would probably be a good place to start looking. I hope I helped explain the system to you any other ?'s just ask.

If your carburated civic doesnt have and sort for ECU or ICM with its own logic then it uses some sort of mechanical spark. This is run without any electronics at all and only needs a coil to fire through the dizzy to the plugs.

It does indeed have an ICM, however upon examination of the ICM, it doesn't seem to have any mechanical trigger of sorts to actuate the ICM unless it operates on centrifugal force. I'll grab my spare dizzy and dissect it with pics for you guys if possible.... hell if maybe I'll just use that or a vac advance teg distributor(d16a1, would love to get hands on a jdm carb's b series dizzy, but thats not happening) if the cam receiver is compatible...without requiring maaajor modification.

I would suspect the firing order is the same...?

I couldnt say if the firing order is the same or not. But I would be willing to say they kept it the same. Let me know what you find out I would like to have more information about something like this. Thanks

Back