Notching B16 for aftermarket rods??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gettocrx

Hey guys! I have a b16a with JE low comp pistons and eagle H-beam rods! I have the rods installed, But I was told that I have to notch it in order to clear. It spins freely but I want to make sure before I slap the head back on. Does anyone know if I have to notch the block to clear the rods??

I was reading on some of the rods for sale from different manufacturers and some of them say you do have to and some say you dont. Like Blanco said though, it spins freely. you'll know if it's hitting or not. you'll hear a grinding noise or a "kink". I've personally seen two different manuf rods for the same motor have a slightly different shape to them around the big end side of the rod. One ever so slightly hit and one didn't. But for the most part, unless you increase the stroke, you won't have a problem with a B16, at least none that i've seen.

usually you have to notch the block with after market rods on the d16, but since this is a b16 thats of no interest. If you have JE pistons on eagle rods, no more needs to be done. JE pistons are designed to fit eagle rods. Youre good to go, just clay the motor and check your clearances before you decide to put everything together and fire her up.

Back