O2 Sensor Can't get VTEC! 92 civic b16a sir II

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gooseguir

I swapped a B16 sirII into my '92 civic hatch in one weekend, yet it has taken us three months and it is still throwing a code, 43, which is O2 sensor I believe. We have tried hooking this thing up every possible way, it has two black wires one white and one green. I'm thinking maybe in the process of hooking it up we fried it, so I don't know what to do? Any help would be much appreciated. Also I was getting a code for the MAP sensor saying it wasn't hooked up, I couldn't find the MAP sensor on my engine so I took the sensor out of my old D15b engine and hooked it to my wiring harness and it's just dangling in my engine compartment, but it stopped throwing a code. (Temporary solution) Any help with this would be great also. Thanks a lot. I desperately need that CEL off so I can get my VTEC finally!!!!

What version of the hatch do you have I.E. CX DX VX SI and what ECU are you using? Code 43 is not the O2 sensor code its the code for bad fueling system, code 41 is a bad O2 sensor code. The map sensor on your B16a is on the top of your throttle body, that is if its a 2 gen b16a, if its a 1 gen then the map sensor was located on the firewall of the car it came from and connected to the intake manifold by a vacuum hose. your can hook it up this way and it should work just fine, but letting it dangle isnt the right thing to do. As far as i know the V-Tec selenoid should work just fine despite other check engine codes, mine did when i did my first swap. Anyway hope this helps, let me know about the other things I asked.

I have a CX and yes it's code 41 , any ideas for the O2 sensor? I do have a 2nd gen b16 and the map sensor isn't on top of the throttle body

Ok well The only ones that did not have the MAP on the throttle body were the 1 gen b16a...so that is kinda weird. Anyway what ecu are you using? As well as what wring harness? I just bought another hatchback its a 92 CX and had a similar problem the other day with the O2 code popping up, I looked at the O2 and it had a single wire O2 sensor on it, which is an older style OBD0 thing and not a OBD1 setup, however on the CX Civic, honda used a single wire O2 in 1992, so if you use that wiring harness and run extra wires for the v-tec to make your swap run, then it will throw the code for O2 since the other 3 wires are not present in the harness. My hatch was throwing the code because they used a DX ecu which was looking for the 4 wire O2, I swapped to the CX ecu which looks for single wire O2 and code went away. Hope this helps.

yup thats the problem... use a another harness... EX preferablly cause all you will have to do to make it work is lengthen the v-tec wires

Originally posted by ksrcivic@Dec 27 2003, 03:44 PM
Ok well The only ones that did not have the MAP on the throttle body were the 1 gen b16a...so that is kinda weird.

Wrong. Both JDM gens had the MAP on the firewall connected to the fuel filter.

As for the O2, just wire it up correctly. Get a service manual.

Heres the wiring for the 92 CX O2:

pin d22 is green/white and connects to the green wire on the o2

pin a6 is orange/black and connects to one of the black wires on the O2

white wire you connect to the single white wire on the CX o2

the other black wire goes to \"junction connector c125\", and its yellow/black wire #6 according to my diagram. the injectors, EACV, and purge control all have yellow/black wires that connect to this \"junction c125\". they are all yellow/black and there is 8 wires total.

Back