o2 sensor help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

word

i have a 96 ek, modified dx harness with a obd2-1 conversion clip running a p28, which only looks for 1 o2 sensor.

i've been experiencing the "closed loop" hesitation/missing problem, and when i got to my car after 3 months of storage i found out that the problem is coming from the o2 sensor, the problem is there regardless if the o2 sensor's plugged in or not.

now i can only think of 2 possible explanations:
1: the o2 sensor is bad
2: the wiring is messed up: secondary wired to primary, primary to secondary. p28 looks for the primary and its not there.

my questions:
-i'd like to test my o2 sensor, can anyone enlighten me on how to do so?
-is my o2 sensor supposed to have 4 wires?
-is there anyway to wire the o2 sensor to the ecu without having to have it plugged in to the wiring harness?

thanks guys.

1. Your O2 sensor is supposed to have 4 wires.
2. You can wire the O2 sensor directly to the ECU bypassing the harness, but its kinda silly to do so. It would make more sense to me to trace the wires in your harness and see if they are going to the right place. Use a battery, two paperclips and a multimeter. You might find hte ECU pinouts in the main site helpful too.

hopefully someone else remembers how to test the sensor itself and can help you with that.

Back