obd1 b16 head on obd2 block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok guys, I am the newbie to the forum, but I am quite experienced with Civics. I have stummped myself on an issue and could not find anything in the "search", but I need some help. I tried posting in a different forum, but didn't get any results.
I have put an obd1 b16 head on my obd2 block and the car runs great, but I can not get vtec to work at all. I have no check engine lights, I have changed solenoids, checked oil pressure (at sending unti), pulled the rocker assy apart, and now I am stumped. Everything checks out just fine except after the vtec solenoid I screwed the gauge in the head and have no oil pressure reading. Is there a plug somewhere in the block or head that should have been taken out that might be restricting the oil flow?

The only thing that comes to my mind is, was that head previously used for a ls/vtec? If so did you remove the plug on the bottom of the head that needs to be blocked for the conversion? If that hole is blocked then I dont think the vtec system has any oil pressure because that is where it comes from.

That would sux if thats the case because the head will have to come off again to remove the little plug. But I would ask the person you got the head from first before jumping to any conclusions.

That unfortunately was the case. I ran an oil supply to the back of the head to make sure it was getting enough oil pressure to engage vtec, and it fixed my problem. I think I am going to leave the plug in until I take the head back off. I bought a Golden Eagle plate to go behind the oil filter that I am going to use to supply the oil until then. Thanks!

Back