Obd1 in a obd2 car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16aJWHO

I have an obd1 b16a in a 98 civic ex. I am using the distributor from my 98 d17y8 engine and a skunk 2 chipped p28 ecu with a wiring harness.
The problems:
1. My check engine light turns on when I rev high, past 6g's, but when I shut the car off the check engine light resets and does not come on again until i rev high.
2. When my rpms go past 4g's the rpm needle flickers back and forth( from 4 to 6, than back to 5 than to 7 etc) This shows on both my cluster as well as my aftermarket tachometer. The car runs strong but i am not able to read what rpms i am at.
I think this is also related to my problems:some days my stereo will work and other days it wont. When it does work, occasionally the lights flicker on and off.

Also, I have a gsr tranny with a phatom grip. Is this a good lsd to have?

1 - You need to pull the code off the ecu when this happens so we can help you trace it down (I'm thinking it's going to be code 21)

2- Pull your instrument cluster and check all the silver screws on the back, I think you might have 1 or more loose. Also check your grounds in the engine bay, mainly the big ground wire to the chassis and the main ground from the engine to the chassis. Now that I'm thinking of it, also check the main power lead at the battery and the small fuse box under the hood too.

bouncing tach usually means toasted ignitor, except in cases where grounds are faulty.

Check your grounds and read the code - its a lot harder to help w/o the diagnostic code.

Back